• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who Is Going to Pony Up for the Early OGL?

The_Universe

First Post
Obviously Necromancer Games (and apparently Paizo publishing) are already in. I'm hoping, though, that everybody who showed up at the conference call joins up, as well.

They're all great publishers. Anybody want to make any choice announcements!? ;)

Adamant Entertainment
EN Publishing
Expeditious Retreat Press
Fantasy Flight Games
Goodman Games
Green Ronin Publishing
Mongoose Publishing
Necromancer Games
Paizo Publishing

Paradigm Concepts
Privateer Press

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think, to help cover EN Publishing's side of it, we should all pony up a few bucks.

Then, Morrus can "hire" us all "for gratis" to write a book on 4e consisting entirely of one-scentence opinions on 4e.

Morrus puts up a page where, to log into ENWorld, you have to initial an NDA.

We all get the rules early.

EVERYBODY WINS!

The_Universe

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
I think, to help cover EN Publishing's side of it, we should all pony up a few bucks.

Then, Morrus can "hire" us all "for gratis" to write a book on 4e consisting entirely of one-scentence opinions on 4e.

Morrus puts up a page where, to log into ENWorld, you have to initial an NDA.

We all get the rules early.

EVERYBODY WINS!
Pure unadulterated genius! :p

Ron

Explorer
I have no insider information but publishers have not much of an option here. Anyone who don't purchase an early OGL license will be poorly positioned in the D&D market in the second semester and will skip Christmas sales.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
IanB said:
Hm, I wonder how Paizo hopping on board is sitting with the "3.75" segment of their fan base.

Mona on Paizo said:
Assuming that the new form of the agreement is acceptable, we will definitely look at the new game to see if it makes sense for Paizo to publish products that support it.

They haven't announced that they are definitely switching to 4E, merely that they are moving forward as they have previously said they would.

The_Universe

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
They haven't announced that they are definitely switching to 4E, merely that they are moving forward as they have previously said they would.
Well, Orcus did say he was partnering with Paizo to get a license, so one presumes that Paizo will have at least some 4e support.

In any case, I don't see any reason why Paizo couldn't support both markets, or create an entirely new one for itself. It could have one imprint making 4e stuff, while another pumps out 3.5 or "3.75" edition products for the segment of the market that can't live without gnomes.

Green Ronin published regular d20 products throughout the life of 3e, but they also have distinct games that, at least theoretically, appeal to the same market (True20 and Mutants and Masterminds).

Roger

First Post
What Paizo Publishing has said so far

As of the moment of this post:

Erik Mona (Publisher) said:
We are very pleased that Wizards of the Coast is extending the Open Gaming movement into a new edition of the game. We have already signaled our interest in moving forward with Phase 1, which involves getting a look at the OGL. Assuming that the new form of the agreement is acceptable, we will definitely look at the new game to see if it makes sense for Paizo to publish products that support it.

We have not yet made a decision regarding fourth edition and won't until all the cards are on the table.
Source

Cheers,
Roger

Remove ads