D&D 5E Who is Matthew Colville?

neobolts

Explorer
I'm out of the loop, it seems. My feed is blowing up that legendary D&D designer Matt Colville has a D&D Kickstarter.

I'm not really into the D&D streamers. Would I know him outside of that?

From kickstarter:
"Hey everybody! My name's Matt Colville I'm a writer and designer in the video game business and before that I was a designer in the tabletop business!

I’m the author of the official Critical Role comic, I was the lead writer on Evolve, I was the lead writer AND a designer on Mercenaries, but before ALL THAT I was a designer in the tabletop business.

I was a designer on the original Dune CCG and the RPG. I worked on the Star Trek RPG, I did the starship combat rules for this one, and I worked on several third party books for 3rd edition, I wrote a whole monster book! And I designed mass-combat and nation building rules set for 3rd edition. I designed the official Knights of the Dinner Table card game, and the Red Alert! Star Trek starship combat game, those were both tons of fun.

I've also got a successful YouTube channel where we talk about running the game!"

Can't find any D&D designs he's done, but obviously a very talented and experienced designer. But I'll wait until the rules are reviewed before I'd buy - I'm not sure how much play testing etc will go into them.

Last edited:

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
I'm out of the loop, it seems. My feed is blowing up that legendary D&D designer Matt Colville has a D&D Kickstarter.

I'm not really into the D&D streamers. Would I know him outside of that?

He's been working in video games for the last few years. But if you go back about a decade-and-a-half then you can find his oeuvre (Star Trek games, Dune, Lord of the Rings Adventure Game, 3rd party publisher titles for 3E, etc.).

But his current claim-to-fame isn't as a streamer. It's as someone who dispenses excellent advice to new 5e GMs. He has streamed some of his games before and the Kickstarter is to get his next game streamed from the start. But the reason why I went all in on the kickstarter is that he's got a lot of common sense advice that he explains in a clear way. I don't always agree with him, but I'm always entertained (and every once in a while informed).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
His kickstarter has been *immensely* successful. His top stretch goal was at 170 000$ (US). At this moment, barely 24 hours after launch, he's collected almost 800 000 $ (can) in pledges... That's impressive.

Zardnaar

Legend
His kickstarter is getting into Numenera territory if it hasn't beaten it already.

And its based off old OSR stronghold concepts lol.

Raith5

Adventurer
His kickstarter has been *immensely* successful. His top stretch goal was at 170 000$ (US). At this moment, barely 24 hours after launch, he's collected almost 800 000 $ (can) in pledges... That's impressive.

Its a seriously impressive amount of dough. At this rate he will be able to build an actual castle.

JonnyP71

Explorer
It's through Youtube that he has really cemented his reputation. Lots of people rate his videos, and I've heard he gives great advice in them.

If only I could bear to watch them for more than a few minutes. He speaks very quickly and edits out pauses, so the information comes at you at breakneck speed. Too fast for me to take it in and it gives me a headache.

Shame really, as I said, I've heard it's good.

MarkB

Legend
It's through Youtube that he has really cemented his reputation. Lots of people rate his videos, and I've heard he gives great advice in them.

If only I could bear to watch them for more than a few minutes. He speaks very quickly and edits out pauses, so the information comes at you at breakneck speed. Too fast for me to take it in and it gives me a headache.

Shame really, as I said, I've heard it's good.

You could watch them at 0.5x playback speed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases