Who is Shadrach

Voadam

Legend
One of my friends named a pet turtle Shadrach and I'm trying to remember where I heard the name before.

I know he is one of the guys in the old testament who would not eat the non-kosher food of King Nebuchadnezzer and was thrown into a fire for it but I have this nagging feeling I've heard the name in a fantasy novel or movie somewhere as well.

Maybe I'm thinking of the Orc god of darkness, isn't his name Shaggras or something like that?

diaglo

Adventurer
it a movie with harvey keitel and andie mcdowell

i can't remember but i think there was also an older movie with Jon Voight

Psion

Adventurer
Meeshach and Abed-Nego's partner?

Voadam said:
I know he is one of the guys in the old testament who would not eat the non-kosher food of King Nebuchadnezzer and was thrown into a fire for it but I have this nagging feeling I've heard the name in a fantasy novel or movie somewhere as well.

Oh. Sorry. ;)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, it could have been from a book on metal smithing - shadrach is a term for iron ore that has not been succesfuly smelted, leaving the stone unchanged by the furnace. I believe that the Old Testemant version came first with the iron smelting version being named after the Biblical Shadrach.

The Auld Grump, who has no idea why he knew that...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I had a half-ogre ranger named Shadrach NPC in my "Out of the Frying Pan" game that helped the party get through dangerous orc territory - but a my story hour has not gotten that far yet, I douby that is where you know the name from. . . ;)

Remove ads