• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is the Leader among D20 companies?

Who is the best D20 Company and why?

• Wizards of the Coast

Votes: 77 39.3%
  • Necromancer Games

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • Green Ronin

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • Kenzer

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • S&S/White Wolf

Votes: 31 15.8%
  • Fantasy Flight

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Moongoose

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 19 9.7%

I do agree that without Wizards we would not have all these great products and the game itself. But I am not quite sure if they are still the leaders in putting out cutting edge/ most anticipated products.

My most anticipated product would be Montes take on clerics and paladins (cant remember off the top of my head). The fact that Wizards is looking for a new setting outside off their own R&D also seems to suggest that they are suffering from brain drain.

PS...cant wait for the Dark Sun setting. I was going through the old modules and i love the setting/format :)

Frostmarrow

First Post
Green Ronin is making the best stuff out there right now. I just wish they'll continue to develop Freeport and make more adventures. I've played the first series and is currently trying to get through Hell in Freeport alive*. I won't even mind if they start over with a new introductory adventure at first level so I can experience it again.

What makes it so great you might ask. Well, it has the perfect blend of action, interaction and investigation. What's more is that in Freeport there is no such thing as 'just-another-combat-encounter'. I'm willing to bet that the Freeport-bible (we've learned some new stuff this week haven't we?) says "No combat is ever the same, if you can't make an interesting combat encounter don't make one at all."

* I didn't. I just hope they'll raise me. Our characters are so great all thanks to the setting.

I was flipping through the pages of some old Inferno! (A publication to go along with GWs tabletop games.) Imagine my surprise when I found that Chris Pramas wrote a couple of shortstories back in 1997. In issue #2 there is one story called The Black Pearl about a chaplain marine in the 40,000 universe and in issue #4 there is one about the White Scars called Into the Maelstrom. I'm going to read them right now. :)

Last edited:

Nikchick

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
I was flipping through the pages of some old Inferno! (A publication to go along with GWs tabletop games.) Imagine my surprise when I found that Chris Pramas wrote a couple of shortstories back in 1997. In issue #2 there is one story called The Black Pearl about a chaplain marine in the 40,000 universe and in issue #4 there is one about the White Scars called Into the Maelstrom. I'm going to read them right now. :)

[OT] Of the three short stories Chris wrote for Inferno, the Warhammer Fantasy story Mormacar's Lament was always my favorite. I've seriously thought it would make the base for a very cool WFRP scenario. Maybe a dark and gritty D&D game, but it definitely doesn't fit with my current "Hack now, ask questions never" group. :) [/OT]

Nicole

Frostmarrow

First Post
Nikchick said:

[OT] Of the three short stories Chris wrote for Inferno, the Warhammer Fantasy story Mormacar's Lament was always my favorite. I've seriously thought it would make the base for a very cool WFRP scenario. Maybe a dark and gritty D&D game, but it definitely doesn't fit with my current "Hack now, ask questions never" group. :) [/OT]

Nicole

Both the Pearl and the Maelstrom struck me as pretty cthulhuesque. (Wow, cool word.) The main characters don't fare all that well. Sadly, I don't have the last one.

By the way Nicloe, keep it up you guys are doing great!

Remove ads