Who is the quintessential D&D artist?

Name the Quintessential D&D Artist, and his two main sidekicks.

• Greg Bell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tracy Lesch

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Dave Sutherland

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Erol Otus

Votes: 36 36.7%
  • Dave Trampier

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Darlene

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jeff Dee

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Jeff Easley

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Larry Elmore

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • Clyde Caldwell

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Keith Parkinson

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Daniel Horne

• Fred Fields

• Brom

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Tony DiTerlizzi

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Robh Ruppel

• Jennell Jaquays

• Tony Szczudlo

• Todd Lockwood

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Sam Wood

• Arnie Swekel

• Glenn Angus

• Wayne Reynolds

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Ralph Horsley

• Raymond Swanland

• Tyler Jacobson

• Michael Komarck

• Jason Rainville

• Other

Votes: 6 6.1%

Darleen and her Greyhawk map is quintessential. Only female artist, which is an acheivement.
Erh, not the only female artist, but probably the best of them. Keenan Powell & Cookie Corey precede her for their illos in OD&D74; and Jean Wells and Laura Roslof (recently deceased wife of Jim Roslof, TSR's Art Director and named above, I believe--oops, no he isn't), also did illos, one for Jean Well's illusion in the original Palace of the Silver Princess which caused all of the kerfluffle surrounding the original module's recall.

My vote is split between Dave Trampier & James Holloway, the latter who I wrote a tribute to in my recent Beyond the Living Room addie.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
I can't vote with the choice being limited to three. For me the choices come down to Trampier, Otus, Caldwell, and Elmore (for Dragonlance).
Edit: add Sutherland to the list of choices for his work on the Holmes Basic Edition cover.

Last edited:

I'm kinda glad that 5e only has the three age types for dragons. By 3e I had stopped using the youngest options as adversaries. Dragons shouldn't be creatures that low-level parties should be able to fight and win against.

I never really liked this piece. Mighty heroes slaughtering a very small dragon. 😂

It was a much more difficult decision to make than I expected. I already knew Elmore and Easley were going to be on my list, so that left me just a single slot to choose. That essentially meant having to pick between Otus, Trampier, Darlene, and Parkinson for me.

Well, you can.

You just have to make a really, really, really hard decision. ;)

Remove ads