Who is the quintessential D&D artist?

Name the Quintessential D&D Artist, and his two main sidekicks.

• Greg Bell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tracy Lesch

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Dave Sutherland

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Erol Otus

Votes: 36 36.7%
  • Dave Trampier

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Darlene

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jeff Dee

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Jeff Easley

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Larry Elmore

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • Clyde Caldwell

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Keith Parkinson

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Daniel Horne

• Fred Fields

• Brom

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Tony DiTerlizzi

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Robh Ruppel

• Jennell Jaquays

• Tony Szczudlo

• Todd Lockwood

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Sam Wood

• Arnie Swekel

• Glenn Angus

• Wayne Reynolds

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Ralph Horsley

• Raymond Swanland

• Tyler Jacobson

• Michael Komarck

• Jason Rainville

• Other

Votes: 6 6.1%

BronzeDragon

Explorer
It's pretty much a done deal that the list comes out as:

1 - Elmore
2 - Otus
3 - Easley

The question asked in the topic of the poll does bias the responses toward the earlier artists, since you probably can't call someone "Quintessential" if his influence is that of a latecomer instead of a foundational member.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the first full page art piece you see in the Player's Handbook (other than the cover, obviously) for AD&D 2E is Elmore's depiction of the party celebrating their success against a (very) young green dragon. It's iconic in ways that many other illustrations of these masters seemed to be prone to being. Full page art tended to tell a story, while smaller pieces were more focused on action or portrait.

Otus is pretty much synonym with AD&D 1E art, but also featured heavily in Basic and previous sets. He's as close to being a surrealist as you can get. Easley did some of the greatest covers (Ruppel and Fields also featured prominently in product cover history) ever, and also had plenty of art sprinkled throughout the books.

Tramp, Caldwell and Parkinson form the next group, and it's also easy to see why. Tramp's cover for the PHB is arguably the most iconic D&D image ever and the MM is full of his art as well. Caldwell was responsible, along with Elmore, for the bulk of the wildly popular Dragonlance art. Parkinson is just the best. Fight me. 💪

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Most of these names I don't recognise, though I was still able to pick 3 names I know whose art I can easily recall. Most would draw a blank though.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Obviously I voted for Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore. But I also voted for Other, because I want to give honorable mention to Jeremy Jarvis, who doesn't get nearly enough credit these days. Most of his stuff is for Magic: the Gathering, but he was one of the illustrators for the 3rd Edition D&D books (including the cover art for Stormwrack). I've also met the guy, and he's good people.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

For me? Only three? Tough... I went with Elmore, Otis and..."Other". My "other" is Valarie Valusek. I absolutely LOVE everything she does/did! 🤩
If I could add some 'hangers-on'...Easley, Dee, Parkinson and Willingham. In fact, when I was getting into drawing my PC's, my best friend (who is one of those freakishly good artists with zero training?...yeah...), he gave me the best compliment I ever had. "You know, your art style is giving off a very Bill Willingham vibe. I'm digging it". 😊

Oh, and the default never-gonna-be-anyone-better-for-it... Dark Sun's DiTerlizzi!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Oh, and the default never-gonna-be-anyone-better-for-it... Dark Sun's DiTerlizzi!

^_^

Paul L. Ming
Now I'm not sure if you meant Dark Sun's Brom or Planescape's DiTerlizzi.

Brom is definitely the face of Dark Sun, while DiTerlizzi set the tone for Planescape. I do find it interesting though, that most people seem to forget DiTerlizzi's importance in the Monstrous Manual. It was absolutely full of his art.

Can't argue with that. I do wonder how this sort of poll would break down if separated by editions - for example, for 3e I think most people would pick Wayne Reynolds, while 2e might increase the rankings of DiTerlizzi and Brom (though I think Elmore and Easley would still rate at the top there).

It's pretty much a done deal that the list comes out as:

1 - Elmore
2 - Otus
3 - Easley

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Otus is pretty much synonym with AD&D 1E art, but also featured heavily in Basic and previous sets. He's as close to being a surrealist as you can get.

When I think of how profoundly weird OD&D and 1e was, I have to think of Otus.

ulPlY.jpg

Remove ads