• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who likes Westerns?

Reg Dword

First Post
I do!

It seems like I don't see a lot of discussion on them on boards like these though. Do you think most gamers don't like Westerns? Am I in the minority here?

I am pretty much a sucker for any Western, although I prefer the older stuff. I like pretty much anything with John Wayne even the bad ones like Chisum. My favorite Western is not a Wayne flick though, it is "The Big Country" with Gregory Peck.

Sound off if you like Western's and tell us what your favorites are.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'm a big fan of Westerns. I think there isn't much discussion of them on boards like these because they don't really fit into the genres discussed here - fantasy and scifi. Westerns have so influenced modern scifi and fantasy, especially on TV, that I think some discussion of them would be in order from time to time.

Favorites? I have too many to list. I'll mention a few.

John Wayne is a favorite, with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance one of my top picks. Of course, any of John Ford's Westerns, especially those with Wayne, are top-notch. The "Cavalry Trilogy" - Fort Apache, Rio Grande, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - also stand out.

Clint Eastwood's Westerns are favorites, also.

A more recent movie I really like is Quigley Down Under. Tom Selleck really evokes the image of a classic Western hero in this film, as well as many others he's done. It's too bad he wasn't around back during the heyday of Westerns; he might have become as big as John Wayne.

I'll mention I Shot Jesse James, directed by Sam Fuller. A different kind of Western, with some interesting insights into the genre.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
I like a few westerns, but am not a fan of the genre in general, and have not seen many of what are regarded by many as the "Classic" westerns. My favorites:

The Maginificent Seven
The Sons of Katie Elder
Silverado
Unforgiven

Mr Fidgit

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I'm a big fan of Westerns. I think there isn't much discussion of them on boards like these because they don't really fit into the genres discussed here - fantasy and scifi. Westerns have so influenced modern scifi and fantasy, especially on TV, that I think some discussion of them would be in order from time to time.
i agree. it doesn't help that a d20 game like Deadlands doesn't get talked about much on these forums. at least then the subject of westerns would come up more often

so Reg, ColonelHardisson, Assenpfeffer, i'll see your movies and raise you High Noon, Young Guns (c'mon, admit it, the first one wasn't that bad!) and Tombstone :D

Reg Dword

First Post
I know last year there was a Deadlands story hour that was popular. That guy stopped posting though. Other than that I don't see much posted about Western themed games.

I know Citizen Games has a D20 game called Sidewinder I think. I have seen almost nothing about it on these boards. Anybody played it?

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:
so Reg, ColonelHardisson, Assenpfeffer, i'll see your movies and raise you High Noon, Young Guns (c'mon, admit it, the first one wasn't that bad!) and Tombstone :D

It shames me to say it, but you're right - Young Guns is a pretty decent movie. Emilio Estevez's performance is remarkable.

High Noon is one of those classic westerns I've never seen. Not sure if Tombstone is a classic, but it seems to be highly regarded. Again, I've not seen it.

Turlogh

Explorer
I enjoy some westerns. Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales is my personal favorite but you really cannot go wrong with any of his westerns.

Prince Atom

Explorer
Hmmm....

For a while there, the Western was in resurgence. I think "Silverado" kicked it off, then you got a couple movies about Tombstone and Wyatt Earp, but in the last couple of years I haven't seen any new Westerns.

I'm not a big fan of the Duke, but I liked "Liberty Valance" and "The Searchers." I went on a spaghetti western jag recently, and by the end of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" all the gunfire was starting to annoy me. Neither "Liberty" nor "Searchers" has much in the way of gun violence.

Plus, "Searchers" has Jeffrey Hunter; I sat through the entire movie going, "Where have I seen him before?" Then I found him ... on the slipcase to my copy of the first Star Trek pilot!

Which reminds me....

How about "Star Trek" as a Western? Sure it's apparently SciFi, but there are a lot of Western concepts in there, such as the posse (being a gang of folks who ride around together) and the cavalry (Who gets sent in to any trouble spot? That's right).

As for another postmodern Western, I think Costner's "Postman" movie is very much one, in that you have a hero who runs around being a hero and rescuing people, however reluctant he is to do it.

TWK
Slap Leather!

Jamdin

Explorer
I like Westerns especially old tv shows like "Gunsmoke," "Have Gun Will Travel", "The Lone Ranger" & "Rawhide." I also like some western movies & my favorites are "My Name Is Nobody" with Henry Fonda, the "Trinity" series with Terrence Hill & Bud Spencer & "Silverado" with a whole bunch of people. I like Clint Eastwood & John Wayne's westerns too but one of my favorite western character is Dean Martin in "Five Card Stud."

I also like reading western novels like "Longarm" but they seem to have disappeared from the shelves around here. Not many of the stores stock westerns anymore. It's mostly bestselling books & romance books...

Remove ads