• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Who should own Wizards of the Coast if/when it is sold?

Ok, ICv2 is doubling down on it. I guess the first article got lot of clicks?

Oh, man, that's a terrible news article. An interesting history piece, but a terrible news article. Just like Scott Thorne's last rumor piece it ignores many changes to Hasbro, WotC, the gaming industry, and the publishing industry over the past decade. I highly doubt that Hasbro is looking to sell D&D. But on the off chance they are, I know for sure it's not for any of the reasons in these articles. Not a good look for ICv2.

Luminous

Legend
Oh, man, that's a terrible news article. An interesting history piece, but a terrible news article. Just like Scott Thorne's last rumor piece it ignores many changes to Hasbro, WotC, the gaming industry, and the publishing industry over the past decade. I highly doubt that Hasbro is looking to sell D&D. But on the off chance they are, I know for sure it's not for any of the reasons in these articles. Not a good look for ICv2.
I agree with you on half of that.

Dire Bare

Legend
It's not a news article. It's an opinion column from a game-store owner who's been in the biz for quite some time.

It's not a "rumor piece" . . . it's just a dude, with a level of expertise and knowledge of the industry, doing what nerds do. Taking a small bit of news and speculating what it COULD mean.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'll add that I really enjoyed the speculation in the second article. It covers a possibility not much discussed on gaming message boards, that a traditional book publisher might be interested in purchasing D&D. And with the discussion of TSR's history publishing novels, it makes perfect sense to me.

I totally buy the idea that a major book publisher would love to get their hands on the D&D back catalog of novels AND a chance to revitalize a top-selling novel franchise. I can see Random House, or some other publisher, focusing on revitalizing the novel line, but also deciding to jump into RPG publishing, especially considering how popular and visible the D&D game has become in recent years. Or, focusing on the novels and licensing out the game to a smaller RPG publisher.

Thorne is right on the money that the D&D novel line(s) were BIG in the 90s. Hundreds of books taking up lots of real estate in book stores, with a good number of reliable NYT best-sellers from certain authors. Heck, even today D&D novels take a up a good deal of shelf space in your local Barnes & Noble. Mine has the complete "Legend of Drizzt" series and the Dragonlance Chronicles, which alone is a pretty long list of titles. They are also carrying a good selection of the game books, the newer Endless Quest books, and D&D collectibles.

I'm not sure why WotC has mostly abandoned novel publishing, although I'm sure they have their reasons (lack of profit isn't one of them) . . . but it's something the right publisher could potentially make a lot of money on.

Remove ads