• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Who should own Wizards of the Coast if/when it is sold?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Good gawd I hope not. D&D would be quickly dissasembled and sold off for parts (Forgotten Realms to one bidder, Greyhawk to another, Dragonlance to another, etc.) and the game itself left to rot, like a poacher who shoots an endangered animal just to cut off its tusks/claws/head and leave the rest. Private equity firms are a bane upon our culture, and have destroyed other beloved things.
Sears Roebuck & Co would agree with you ... but a private equity firm already killed it.

Paizo doesn't need D&D any more, but I like the idea of a monster compedium for 5Ed with the creatures of Pathfinder.

Hasbro knows today the gold mines, the sources or incomes, are the franchises, the IPs. Today selling a product is easier if this is linked with some famous brand. And WotC isn't only selling collectable cards, but her mission is to create new franchises to be used by the rest of Hasbro team. WotC is creating new "pieces" to be parts of a "fantasy hasbroverse", let's say this would be a "WiztCoverse".

But the old franchises are as double edged weapons, with its pros and cons, the conflict between adding new things, because you can't be always telling the same story without changes, and the coherence with the previous continuity.

And now I think WotC isn't the main project because now Hasbro's priority is Disney/Marvel/Star War licencing. WotC's brands would be the plan B, or maybe the plan C after the cinematic hasbroverse (movies of Transformers, G.I.Joe, Rom spaceknight, M.A.S.K...). Part of this "plan C" would be the videogame adaptations. Let's imagine a Spelljammer/d20 Future version of Mass Effect, or a shooter based in Gamma World.

Hasbro is going to sell nothing, but maybe it wants to acquire some other company, for example a lesser 3PP, an indie videogame studio or even a film production company.

My opinion is before 6Th Ed. we will see something like a d20 Modern 2.0. because this could allow to test the reaction caused by some possible changes, for example a different list of abilities scores (to allow games with more investigations and social interactions). And this d20 Modern will arrived sooner in a (no medieval fantasy) RPG videogame.

WotC is observing what ideas by other parties can work better, for example in Pathfinder 2 class features and racial traits being replaced with optional list of class and race feats, allowing more flexibility to create but not more complicated.

If Pathfinder and D&D mergered..... what about psionic and ocultist/psicraft classes?

Remove ads