Who's Playing What On Fantasy Grounds? Final Stats For 2016!

It's stats time again! The folks at Fantasy Grounds have sent along the final usage stats for 2016, reflecting which rulesets were played on the VTT (Virtual Table Top) during Quarter 4. There's a small dip across the board during December. D&D 5E leads the pack as usual by a massive margin (but remember that FG is a licensee of WotC), followed by Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and D&D 3.5 and then D&D 4E. In the pages below, "Core RPG" refers to the system neutral default package for Fantasy Grounds, used when there isn't a game-specific one.

RulesetUsage2016Q4_26805_image001.png

RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png

SaveSave

Real rough comparison of 2015 vs 2016

Total games
2015 ~290,000
2016 ~440,000
>> ~51% increase in total # games

87% increase in 5E games
16% increase in Pathfinder
64% increase in Savage Worlds
8% decrease in 3.5
30% decrease in 4E

Teataine

Explorer
I have to say, this is completely baffling to me. I knew 5e was very popular, and PF was trailing so that's not a surprise, but the other games' numbers really confuse me.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to say, this is completely baffling to me. I knew 5e was very popular, and PF was trailing so that's not a surprise, but the other games' numbers really confuse me.
What do you find confusing? That 3.5E and 4E have decreased? Or that Savage Worlds has increased so much? There has been quite a bit of official and community development of products in SW, so seems predictable to me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What do you find confusing? That 3.5E and 4E have decreased? Or that Savage Worlds has increased so much? There has been quite a bit of official and community development of products in SW, so seems predictable to me.

Savage Worlds has been the "non-D&D" game of record for a couple years now, hasn't it?

4E and 3.x (non-PF) are probably phasing out mainly as people move to 5E, seems reasonable as campaigns finish up that people move on.

Argyle King

Legend
I see a little over 2000 GURPS games going.

I wasn't even aware that there were GURPS players on Fantasy Grounds. I might have to check it out.

ddaley

Explorer
Interesting to see DCC on the chart, even though there isn't an official ruleset for it. I wish Goodman Games would get on board with the digital age. I would definitely buy up DCC/MCC modules on FG.

Reynard

Legend
Here's an interesting question: if I jump on FG a few times during the week to prep my Thursday 5E game, does that read as 3 or 4 game session of 5E in the stats?

Here's an interesting question: if I jump on FG a few times during the week to prep my Thursday 5E game, does that read as 3 or 4 game session of 5E in the stats?

I remember a post somewhere detailing what counted as a game and such, but I don't remember exactly. I think they only count games where their is either a license check done (i.e. a free/demo license connecting to an ultimate license) OR when someone connects using the alias.

So, I don't think that counts as 3 or 4 games, but... *shrugs*

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases