D&D 4E Whose staying with 4e?

Pour

First Post
I'm admittedly cold to 5e right now. My preferred edition feels shafted, and the immense venom given it from any number of lapsed players gives me less the inclination of reunifying under one banner and more the inclination to flip them all the bird and keep playing what I like. 4e feels short-lived and largely untapped, even by the designers. I think only members of the fan community and certain bloggers have really gotten to the design heart, and every 4e DM whose played the edition since 2008 knows the true malleability and freedom it offers- not the one-off 'this game is not for me, but I still respect people who actually like it' crowd, who missed the deeper design entirely.

Even from a rules/style/ease standpoint, 4e has most of what I want and 5e seems to be a great big uncertainty. I certainly don't feel catered to as a 4ther in many of these chats and development diaries. That's not a knock, but it certainly isn't a lure either. I'll pick up the core 3 for 5e, I always do, but now more than ever I can see myself lifting bits I like and incorporating them into my 4e games. 4e has given me that kind of confidence. It also makes it hard to leave a game I'm so adept at and feel so comfortable with.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Play what you like. Always, always play the game where you have the most fun.

That said, there's no way to answer this question yet. The closed playtest is still very early in the process, with nothing but early versions of basic rules being tested. This becomes a relevant question once we know how 5e will feel.

Ryujin

Legend
By the time that 5e actually rolls out, we'll have moved on to something else for a while. Savage Worlds looks like the current front runner.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
To answer the question, based on our playtests so far I'll swing my 4e campaigns to a close and start 5e games. That's dependent on all sorts of factors, though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My guess for my group: most of the guys running 3.5Ed games will continue to do so, with a slim chance of venturing into the realm of the 3.X games (AE, Pathfinder, etc.).

The dude running 4Ed will continue to do so.

5Ed will be purchased by me, then evaluated en banc. If it looks good, SOMEBODY will give it a whirl.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I am likely to finish my current campaign in 4e and not move unless player demand occurs for it. I will try the tests if invited and if it looks good i may buy in and run it sometime in the future.

Ryujin

Legend
I am likely to finish my current campaign in 4e and not move unless player demand occurs for it. I will try the tests if invited and if it looks good i may buy in and run it sometime in the future.

I applied for the playtest, but didn't hear anything back.

Remove ads