D&D 5E Why a New D&D Video Game Should Be 16bit/2D

Lanliss

Explorer
That's kind of the crux - folks seem to believe that character sheets, dice, classes, hit points and all that jazz that are parts of pen and paper RPGs require representation within a digital format, otherwise they're not playing an RPG. Especially designers wishing to capture a demographic conveniently boxed and labelled 'D&D players'.

Which is understandable. And we need to recognize that these are elements that are required to play a pen and paper rpg (usual exceptions for various systems apply). They are not, however, the game itself. We roll dice to randomly generate a value, which can be used to determine an outcome, be it a save, a hit point value, the chance of being hit by a meteor and so on.

Likewise, a character sheet is a handy, low cost method of tracking and remembering various values which are used during play.

A level system is form of feedback, empowerment and reward - a player can associate a level with various qualities, a higher level indicates more powerful qualities and a new level itself is clear reward for an accumulation of successes.

And so on..

However, these are various elements of D&D that collaborate to form the mechanics are not the game - they are the parts of a machine that make a game possible.

So when folks talk about a 'D&D game' I tend to worry. Creating a quality gaming experience can be really tough. And because of the subjective nature of each of our D&D experiences, the clear common ground tends to be the trappings of the system itself - so naturally, designers tend to focus on that. D&D? That means ..character sheets and.. levels and classes and hit points, right? Better get them in there! Otherwise how else will our audience know they're playing an RPG, right?

Not really. For me at least, I could do without some or all such trappings and still enjoy an RPG experience in a digital format. I don't need the actors in a (typically abysmal) movie to whip out a character sheet for me to know I'm watching a D&D movie. Likewise with a D&D game. What I do want in a movie is obviously a matter of my own personal tastes (giant robots, sentient squid women and a midget chase scene, along with excellent cinematography and character development) - each to their own.

So for me, a D&D computer game, whatever that really is, should be prepared to hide and even throw away the trappings of the pen and paper system, and instead focus on delivering a quality gaming experience. Or, better yet, embrace the digital format and develop a system that empowers players and DMs to carrying on playing - but better - using the digital format to enhance the experience.

IMO, as I mentioned back on page 1, I think that some things should stick, and would be a nice little nod to the PnP roots. Like weapons labeled with damage dice instead of flat numbers. That single point would be enough to make me feel like it is a more "D&D" game.*

Other than that, actually have a ton of lore that can be found, with the right checks. Just little sparkles in a temple that, when interacted with, tell you a bit of lore, assuming you passed the religion check. Or a statue that requires a History check to learn the subject of it.

*I am not a coder, so I don't know how difficult it would be to teach a program to think in dice, rather than flat numbers. Since dice rollers exist, I assume it is not that hard.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Any major differences between the PC/Console/Xbox versions. PC one is a lot cheaper, I would prefer to blob out on the couch.

Can relate. I don't know the differences. Seemingly they're still building a port for consoles.

If it comes to/is on the consoles, I reckon that would be a dream to play - much like Terraria, it's the style of game you can play, chilled, kicked back and relaxed.

..until something horrible/exciting happens..... !

Werebat

Explorer
WotC backed out of the video game arena a long time ago. Temple of Elemental Evil killed their interest in CRPGs dead.

The next great CRPG will not be a D&D game.

This has already happened.

WotC will NEVER put out another CRPG. EVER. Smoking crater. Dead. DEAD!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
WotC backed out of the video game arena a long time ago. Temple of Elemental Evil killed their interest in CRPGs dead.

The next great CRPG will not be a D&D game.

This has already happened.

WotC will NEVER put out another CRPG. EVER. Smoking crater. Dead. DEAD!

Um, they've released several CRPGs, including at least one good one ( NWN2, unsure if NWN was before or after ToEE), soooo...

Werebat

Explorer
Um, they've released several CRPGs, including at least one good one ( NWN2, unsure if NWN was before or after ToEE), soooo...

NWN2 was released in 2004.

ToEE was released in 2003.

ToEE had already killed the D&D CRPG, it's just that it wasn't buried quite yet. NWN2 was still in production, almost out the door, when the ToEE train wreck hit.

Then Storm of Zehir nailed the coffin shut and filled the grave with soil.

Note -- all of this was well over a DECADE ago. An eternity by video game standards.

There will be no more D&D video games, of any kind. Ever.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
NWN2 was released in 2004.

ToEE was released in 2003.

ToEE had already killed the D&D CRPG, it's just that it wasn't buried quite yet. NWN2 was still in production, almost out the door, when the ToEE train wreck hit.

Then Storm of Zehir nailed the coffin shut and filled the grave with soil.

Note -- all of this was well over a DECADE ago. An eternity by video game standards.

There will be no more D&D video games, of any kind. Ever.

Actually, they were still going strong on NWN expansions onto 2006, and NWN2 came in late 2006; also since ToEE, ae have had sub par D&DO and Neverwinter, and even SCL.

ToEE was 100% accurate to 3.x rules. It sucked, because PnP rules do not translate well to computer games - instead of immersive gameplay experience, it ended up being boring as hell.
What are you saying? ToEE is exactly how a game should be like. It only failed because it was buggy, but there's a fan patch that actually fixes it.

Derren

Hero
A 16Bit game won't cut it, every D&D game would still be compared to Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights(2) or, depending on the genre, Dark Alliance. Anything worse than that will automatically garner a negative reaction from the playerbase.

But the big point is, there is simply no interest in the D&D license any more. Even if there had not been the 4Ed which damaged the D&D brand, most game designers figured out that they can equally well design their own generic fantasy (or science fiction) world and have an equally invested fanbase, full control over their IP and do not have to care about future licensing.
There are some exceptions when licenses are strong and cheap (warhammer) or have a rather uncommon theme (cyberpunk). But generic Tolkien inspired fantasy? They are easy to create. Or you specifically don't do Tolkien fantasy which alone garners some interest in the oversaturated fantasy market.

In short, there is no company out there with enough resources to make a adequate game which has any interest in D&D unless they can get it for (nearly) free. And WotC won't do that kind of deal (yet).

Remove ads