• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why arbitrary monster abilities are a bad idea.

Khaim

First Post
robertliguori said:
The frustrating thing to me is that the deliberate segregation of monster and PC abilities speaks to an assumption that monsters do X and PCs do Y, and that certain challenges will be appropriate for PCs because they can't do X.

There's an assumption here that you're trying to hide. If PCs of level N face enemies that can do X, you claim that those PCs can't already do X.

If X is some combat-centric ability, like regenerating or firebreathing or whatnot, then this isn't much of a problem. Sure, the PCs might be able to steal X for a short time, but it will take a fair bit of effort on their part and only last a couple of battles. I fail to see how this is any different than going to the local town and recruiting 50 low-level bowmen to help you shoot down a dragon.

On the other hand, X might be some potent non-combat ability, like teleport, scrying, powerful illusions, etc. In this case, your argument relies on the fact that the NPCs can teleport before the PCs cane. But how much earlier is that? If PCs get teleport at 15th level, do you really think some 5th level monster has teleport at will? Does a 10th level monster have it? This is important. If the earliest you find a teleporting monster is 13th level, and the PCs manage to enslave it somehow, where is the problem? Sure, they're a few levels ahead of the power curve, but it's not like they're totally breaking the game.

And if 5th level PCs manage to get into the Feywild, I feel sorry for them. There's probably a good reason you're not supposed to go there until Paragon tier.

ObsidianCrane

First Post
Hey look its a problem that every prior edition of DnD has had, but you only want to complain about it for 4E?

Please.

We have seen game mechanics for 1 creature, about 6 feats, 3 class abilities and 1 race and you are jumping to conclusions that the situation will be worse than it was in prior editions - that's pretty much hogwash.

Worse what you seem to really be saying is that the game is at fault for players doing smart things through the mechanics of their class, the resources the GM gives them, or just plain old role play. Which is definately barking up the wrong tree.

nolifeking

First Post
Imban said:
... or step into the feywild until 11th level, or what have you, you can run into problems if you write up a race of humanoid fey monsters who start at level 6 and all have the ability to take themselves and anyone they're holding between the feywild and the world at will - namely, when the PCs make an ally out of one of these monsters and start having him help them walk through walls in the real world that don't exist in the Feywild from levels 7 to 10, when The Rules say that PCs don't get to do that until 11th level.

Khaim said:
And if 5th level PCs manage to get into the Feywild, I feel sorry for them. There's probably a good reason you're not supposed to go there until Paragon tier.

Man, what an idea for a kick ass adventure lvl 7-10 ish. Your party, in the course of their last glorious adventure, befriends a Fey creature that takes them back and forth, helping them greatly a few times. One time, however, the creature takes them to the Feywild and just leaves them there. They now have to get to that city the becomes co-terminus once a year. Problem is, thats only a week away, and its a tough journey.

I could totally see an ammoral Fey creature doing that and thinking nothing of it, would make a very fun and unexpected adventure.

On topic, I see what the OP is saying, but I, like others, believe that there will be both mechanical restrictions for charm effects and such, and DM ability to control the situation. Monsters have motivations, sure, but they are not mindless servants of this motivation.

In the monster X Y and Z example, why would monsters Z trust them at all? Why would they not send a messanger to monster Y calling for a clandestine meeting where they both agree that the PC's are more concerned with killing both groups and set up an ambush that turns into a 3 way battle with the PC's trapped in the middle?

I guess I just try to see anything like that not as "how do I stop my PC's from breaking my plot" and more like "how can this become the new adventure?" As a PC, I love it when my actions meaningfully effect the world, and if the DM can make adventures or encounters on the fly based on my crazy plans (which I do love to craft and implement), so much the better.

Mallus

Legend
robertliguori said:
Players defeat monster X. Players go and defeat monster Y, which hates monster X. Players go capture creature Z, who monster X cares about. Players say "Do the job for us, and we'll slay Y, and a bunch like him, and let you and Z go in a couple of levels when we can do the job ourselves. Don't do the job, or get any bright ideas about clever double-crosses, and we'll feed Z to Y.
Aha... I now see what you're talking about.

Houserules will not save you now; if your creatures have motivations, PCs can exploit them. The only way to prevent this is to declare that every NPC with an exploitable ability cares more about not using their ability for the PCs gain than everything else; having this be true in an organic world is ludicrous.
Why on earth would a DM want to prevent this kind of creative, engaged play? This is the exactly the sort of thing that got me into RPG's in the first place. The only thing a DM would need to watch out for is the repetition of the exact same tactic to the point the game becomes stale.

And you don't do that with houserules, or with the official rule set, for that matter. You do it through open cooperation between all parties playing the game.

zoroaster100

First Post
I think this is one area where 4th edition is clearly on the right path. The first step is to acknowledge that there are monster abilities which are NOT appropriate for player characters to access under any circumstances, and some that might be appropriate but only under very different circumstances than they are available to monsters. What is interesting or fun for the players to face in an opponent may ruin the game if it falls into their hands. Once the designers acknowledge that, they can better ensure players never can get their hands on what they shouldn't, through spells, magic items, diplomacy, or any other means.

rkanodia

First Post
S'mon said:
No it's not. A few players with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement born from playing 3e may think that; doesn't make it true.
Agreed. When I first saw third edition, I was impressed and pleased with its sort of egalitarian spirit, with everybody being treated 'the same'. Over time, I came to realize that it just doesn't work out so well in practice - I don't want to spend 15 minutes picking spells and feats for someone that's just going to die after 3 rounds of combat (having used maybe 15% of his total options) anyway. And I also don't want to have to be able to 'justify' every single thing through some player-castable spell, or combination thereof, to avoided being branded a 'cheater'. Look, if the surprising, non-player-usable effect not in his statblock, I'm adding XP to the encounter for it, so there's no 'cheating', OK? Let's move on.

Mallus

Legend
rkanodia said:
Over time, I came to realize that it just doesn't work out so well in practice - I don't want to spend 15 minutes picking spells and feats for someone that's just going to die after 3 rounds of combat (having used maybe 15% of his total options) anyway. And I also don't want to have to be able to 'justify' every single thing through some player-castable spell, or combination thereof, to avoided being branded a 'cheater'.
Exactly. A smart man chooses the right tool for the job.

rkanodia said:
Your PCs are enslaving monsters or reanimating their corpses as servants, and so the rest of us can only fight boring monsters to avoid breaking your game. Right.

S'mon said:
No it's not. A few players with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement born from playing 3e may think that; doesn't make it true.

Exactly... a DM must be able to stay firm and say "No, you cannot play a Troll Warlock in my game" or "No, you cannot tame a Nightmare, no matter whats your Diplomacy score"

And yes, those are the most extreme cases, but there are some other cases where strictly forbidding "trying to find loopholes on the RAW" helps wonders...

But hey, whatever works for you, I'm a guy who doesn't allow spiked chains in his game [shrugs]

robertliguori

First Post
Cailte said:
Hey look its a problem that every prior edition of DnD has had, but you only want to complain about it for 4E?

Please.

We have seen game mechanics for 1 creature, about 6 feats, 3 class abilities and 1 race and you are jumping to conclusions that the situation will be worse than it was in prior editions - that's pretty much hogwash.

Worse what you seem to really be saying is that the game is at fault for players doing smart things through the mechanics of their class, the resources the GM gives them, or just plain old role play. Which is definately barking up the wrong tree.

3.XE was a step in the right direction; the use of monsters with ECLs as well as explicit class abilities to get monsters on your side. My hope was that since the rules encoded that, for example, druids could enlist the services of thoqqua briefly, that core material would being to operate under the assumption that parties that included druids (or prepared casters of any stripe) past a certain level could use thoqqua-abilities for their own ends.

Thoqqua have the magnificent ability to rapidly bore through solid stone and leave tunnels behind. This, needless to say, is an extremely useful ability for a dungeon-delving adventurer.

Now, the 2E/4E mindset, this isn't an issue; thoqqua burrowing ability isn't on the list of PC abilities, so we don't need to worry about it. But what happens when, through cleverness, a PC does manage to gain control over a thoqqua? You have, in essence, replaced whatever higher-level challenge encoded into the solid stone the thoqqua is now melting at speed with however difficult it is to gain control over the thoqqua. Now this sort of thing can be exciting and interesting. But if you want to have dungeons the PCs can't casually burrow through with a decanter of endless water and a cooperative/coerced thoqqua, you either need to take the monster ability into account, or find some way to foil the cooperation/coercion. But even if you do manage to do so in-game, remember that in-game problems have in-game solutions; if you rule that the thoqqua builds up a resistance to charm spells on account of its long domination, not only must you remember this rule for further charm spells, but you're not stopping the PCs from nabbing another thoqqua and starting again.

In the end, I find it far simpler to start from the assumption that a) monsters should be balanced according to potential effect on the game world, not just expected combat ability against a set of PCs, and b) throwing a monster with a disproportionately high effect-level at PCs should be a matter of consideration for DMs as much as throwing a disproportionately high-level magic item. In both cases, careful use of the presented resource can drastically affect the game world. We're getting a system designed with careful attention to balance on effects in the game world for magic items. Why aren't we getting one for monsters?

zoroaster100 and rkanodia: How do you enforce this lack of bleed-over in the face of dedicated PCs making the attempt to gain said abilities? If a PC wants to stop and research the Ritual of Endless Night that the evil villain was attempting to perform, what happens then? Well, you can fiat failure; despite the fact that the PC is both smarter and more knowledgeable about magic than the villain, you simply don't let the PC learn the ritual. This tends to produce discontent among the players. You can add requirements that make it unlikely that the PC will continue, but PCs have a bad habit of circumventing requirements, and then you are left with a general lack of excuse not to have the ritual work. Even worse, you need to make sure that the villain wasn't going to run afoul of those very requirements; otherwise the PC will simply make an effort to learn the improved ritual the BBEG was trying to use. Finally, you can simply say to the player out-of-game that you're not going to let him learn the ritual, come up with an appropriate reason in-game that the player is happy with, and move on, but having to do so means you've uncovered a weakness in the system.

The reason we play a game with dice and numbers is that most of us like having shared, codified assumptions about what our characters can and cannot do in the world. Having success or failure depend solely on the DMs desire at the time is free-form storytelling, not playing an RPG. (Yes, it's still role-playing, and often quite fun, but you do kind of lose the game aspect.) Having stats for combat and magical ability means that both the ability of the BBEG to invoke the Ritual of Endless Night and (if desired) the PC's lack of ability to do so should be in the system; what's the point of putting points into things like Spellcraft and Knowledge(Arcana) if the GM will arbitrarily decide what can and cannot be learned by the various characters of the game?

I recognize that it is damn difficult to maintain a system that uses the same rules for PCs and NPCs and also come up with interesting NPCs on the fly. However, I think the answer is not to come up with random stats, but instead to publish sets of almost-complete encounters and NPCs, along with ways to customize them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads