D&D 5E Why are potions of healing so expensive?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe it is just how I envision them, as either little vials of blessed water or herbal tinctures, but 50 GP seems a bit much. I mean, I would imagine that in every sizeable village there is an herbalist who sells various ointments and tinctures, and I don't see why they couldn't also sell potions of healing. Consider that in your typical health food store, an herbal tincture is usually $10-15.

If Xanathar's is in play, they are priced that way so that a character taking the Herbalism Kit proficiency and taking the time to brew potions can be a Cool Thing that saves the party a significant wad of cash.

Oofta

Legend
In my campaign world there are salves and "tinctures" that speed healing for much less, but healing potions are in a class all their own. Having said that, while expensive it is something that is powerful enough that many upper and middle class (not to mention military units) will have on hand in case of emergency.

Mercurius

Legend
IMHO the absurd market value and crafting time/resources were likely chosen because -despite having item rarities- rarities aren't handled well in this game, especially at higher levels of play. Everyone expects that a "common" potion of healing should be available in unlimited quantities, so if the price is low, any sensible character would wear a bandoleer of healing potions at all times. This conflicts with the ambiance the designers wanted, so they jacked the prices up. Add it to the list of ways the designers ham-handedly attempted to maintain a medieval economy in a world with magic that gets described as rare but presented as common.

I think potions requiring a short or long rest would have actually fit the medieval fantasy tropes a lot better anyway. I like the idea of a healing potion that automatically stabilizes the creature and then restores x HP after some period of time. More rare potions could grant x HP immediately and y HP after a rest or something.
Yes, agreed (first paragraph) and I like your idea (second paragraph).

I think part of the "problem" (such as it is) is that the D&D world is generally envisioned as a quasi-medieval world with magic stuff in it, not how the ancients and indigenous people of our world viewed (or view) our world: that it is ensouled, embued with lifeforce. Meaning, magic is intrinsic to the world and, in a way, it "grows out of it."

So a ranger or druid could theoretically know herbs or springs of water that have healing properties beyond just the typical skill usage of Medicine. In fact, as I write this I think I'd allow for a druid or ranger to make a Nature check on a short rest. Other classes with proficiency in Nature could still make the check but might be at Disadvantage (or maybe they aren't, and druids at least get Advantage). Something like:

1-10 Nothing found
11-15 herbs that offer d4 worth of healing
16-17 herbs that offer 2d4 worth of healing
18-19 herbs that offer 3d4 worth of healing
20+ special - an herb or plant (possibly mushroom) with special healing properties

Or something like that.

There would be a modifier, plus or minus, depending upon the environment. A desert might be -5, while a primeval forest brimming with magic might be +5.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A healing potion is less herbal tincture, and more instant jolt of cocaine (for how it reacts, and how quickly it reacts, to the body taking it). How cheap is cocaine?

Mercurius

Legend
A healing potion is less herbal tincture, and more instant jolt of cocaine (for how it reacts, and how quickly it reacts, to the body taking it). How cheap is cocaine?
1618866625801.png

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well remember, HP aren't really or only "body points." And in a fantasy world, an herbal tincture isn't necessarily just an herbal tincture.

So, a potion of healing takes a day to prepare.

In the real world, my wife occasionally makes herbal tinctures (she uses some herbal elements in veterinary medicine) and it takes 4-6 weeks to make a tincture from base herbs.

jasper

Rotten DM
Maybe it is just how I envision them, as either little vials of blessed water or herbal tinctures, but 50 GP seems a bit much.
The clerics 401K/retirement fund is kind of low. Why can't a nice little old cleric retired to the Bahamas and have fun tipping the dancers.

Remove ads