Why are some NPCs so amazingly irritating? (e.g. Khelben Blackstaff)

Doug McCrae

Legend
Forgotten Realms has a big problem with its uber-NPCs, as has been noted many times. It's not just their power, it's that Elminster is clearly a stand-in for the author, a Mary Sue. That he inhabits a world teeming with hawt magic chixxorz smacks of the most primitive wish fulfillment, one step up from Gor.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
delericho said:
(And, incidentally, there is almost no good reason why Jar Jar is loathed while Yoda is loved. On the face of it, the little green muppet with the screechy voice and the weird mannerisms should have fallen flat on his face. And yet, somehow, it works.)
I don't remember Yoda being the bearer (so to speak) of poop jokes.

Yoda was created as a real character, who just happened to have an alien appearance and speech patterns. Jar Jar Binks was created as a two-dimensional character, soley for (what was supposed to be) comic relief. There are huge differences in the verisimilitude and function, and, thus, likeability, of the characters.

(Also, frankly, the talents of Frank Oz come into play.)

an_idol_mind

Explorer
delericho said:
I get the impression from the FRCS that the Blackstaff is meant to be something of an arrogant windbag, who knows what's best for everyone and is going to do it. That he accuses Elminster of exactly the same things is really quite ironic.

Yeah, Khelben is meant to be a jerk. At the same time, the Realms authors could have just kept him as a high-level wizard who thinks he knows what's best for everyone. One of the things that contributes to his (and other Realms characters) reputation of being annoying is that he and the other Chosen have been getting a steady power inflation over the years, and now have abilities far beyond what any PCs could ever hope for. So while someone in Greyhawk might someday be on the same level as Mordenkainen, adventurers in the Realms will always have Khelben, Elminster, and a few dozen other characters who had rules written specifically for them looking down their noses at the PC.

(And, incidentally, there is almost no good reason why Jar Jar is loathed while Yoda is loved. On the face of it, the little green muppet with the screechy voice and the weird mannerisms should have fallen flat on his face. And yet, somehow, it works.)

The charisma of Frank Oz (Yoda's voice) goes a long way to make that character appealing. Also, Yoda had a better screenwriter and director than George Lucas introducing him, and benefitted from not being an obvious and insulting racial stereotype.

The thing is, it's okay for some NPCs to be incredibly annoying. Settings should provide a range of characters both good and bad, likeable and annoying, quirky and dull. Indeed, if a character like the Blackstaff can be both incredibly annoying and yet at the same time right about about almost everything, that creates a depth to the character, and to the setting, which is all to the good. Do the PCs work with him for the betterment of all, or do they let their personal agendas get in the way?

The challenge is making characters that the players love to hate, rather than just flat out hate.

delericho

Legend
Jeff Wilder said:
I don't remember Yoda being the bearer (so to speak) of poop jokes.

True. But he spends the first few minutes of his time on screen generally annoying Luke, throwing his stuff around, and getting into a tug-of-war with R2-D2. And while he's doing this, he's taking screen time away from Han Solo and Leia being on the run from the Empire.

But, hey, I'm not dissing Yoda. He's a great character (although, had I been running the prequels there is no way in Hell he would have picked up a lightsaber... but that's another rant). It's just that, on paper, it doesn't seem like it should have worked.

Jeff Wilder said:
Jar Jar Binks was created as a two-dimensional character, soley for (what was supposed to be) comic relief.

The nice-guy innocent, banished from his people because he just doesn't fit in? There are loads of ways one could have made Jar Jar kick all kinds of ass. In fact, write it correctly, and you could have had the entire audience in tears when he stands up to propose Palpatine be given emergency powers... and thus dooms the galaxy.

What's more, you wouldn't even have to sacrifice the comic relief element to do it - Londo Mollari starts as comic relief in B5, and ends up as anything but. Sadly, George Lucas forgot how to write good characters somewhere along the way, or became too obsessed with the CGI, or decided to go for the 'easy' laugh.

(Or, perhaps he never had the ability. Perhaps Han Solo works because of Harrison Ford, and Obi-Wan because of Alec Guiness, and Tarkin because of Peter Cushing, and Vader because of James Earl Jones...)

Anyway, we digress.

Rhun

First Post
I'm semi-confused as to why these NPCs even matter? If you don't like them or they annoy you, don't use them. I've been playing the Forgotten Realms since the first boxed set was released (1987, I think), and none of my players have EVER run into Elminster, Khelben or Drizzt.

Anti-Sean

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
dei ex machinae
The preposition 'ex' takes the ablative, so that should be dei ex machinis. Some would argue that 'di' is the proper plural of 'deus' (IIRC, it is more common in poetry), so that muddies the waters a bit.

...wait, this was a thread about irritating NPCs, not irritating grammar police. Carry on!

Remove ads