• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are there no sneaky leaders?

mneme

Explorer
The "why are there no fast heroes" thread was clearly off, but it did raise an interesting question. As of PH3, every current and announced leader class will have a Wisdom build (a build with either wisdom as primary or secondary -- Cleric and shaman have it as primary, plus the bow-based bard, two out of three Artificer builds, the Enlightened Ardent, and (with PH3) the bow-using Warlord). Charisma is primary in two leader classes (Ardent & Bard) and secondary for others. Strength is primary for Warlord and Cleric, Int is sprimary for some Warlords, secondary for most, and primary for all Artificers. Con is secondary for four types of leaders -- shamans, bards, artificers, and ardents. But what about leaders with Dex?

There are no leaders with Dex as a primary stat.
There are no leaders with Dex as a secondary stat.

And, while we're at it, there are no leaders with Stealth as a class skill.

Sure, yes, most types of leaders lead from the front, or call out their orders in a loud voice, or whatever. But when you've got a question like, say "who should lead this strike team of special forces guys", you end up with an off-stat multiclass (eg, an 18/18 multi with with weak special effects, like a cleric multiclassing into rogue) or a striker multiclassed to a leader, wheras there's no reason you -couldn't- have such a leader (in fact, there have been several leaders that could have gone this way and didn't--Presicent bard could have been dex rather than YA Wis/Cha leader; and the skirmishing warlord has no reason she can't use Dex as the new Warlord secondary rather than yet -another- leader using Wis as primary or secondary).

But "speed" isn't the issue here; It's sneakiness (and to an extent the other Dex skills, Thievery and Acrobatics. But the party isn't rewarded for everyone having those skills like they can be for all having Stealth, and at least Thievery and Acrobatics appear on the skill list for some leaders (well, one each; Bard and Artificer)).

I'll note that Dex certainly is singled out here -- every non-dex skill appears on at least two different Leader skill lists, too.

Can't the sneaky guys get some decent leadership, rather than having all the ranged leaders shoot with Wisdom? And can't -some- leadership happen from the shadows?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yeah, I was thinking about this too.

Personally, I'd love it if the Archery Bard ("Prescient") had used Dex instead of Wis.

Cheers, -- N

FireLance

Legend
And can't -some- leadership happen from the shadows?
Assuming that we will have a Leader with the Shadow power source one day... why not? ;)

EDIT: And there was also the Shadow Captain warlord paragon path from Manual of the Planes. :p

Last edited:

Snotboy

First Post
The Commando Captain paragon path in Martial Power has 'Camouflaging Command'. That gives everyone you grant movement to with a power concealment until the end of your next turn. That would let them make stealth checks.

That and other powers granted by the path seem to favor a leading a stealth-based group, if you built your warlord around it.

jester_gl

First Post
I could see some Leader being dex-based as secondary. A predator shaman, the bow-bard, skirmisher warlord, etc. I guess they could be reskined easily to be used flavorfully in homebrew campaign, but I guess that officially we will have to make do with the guildmaster rogue PP.

How I would love to see some specialty cleric or something in a future book. Cleric of specific cult being more than simply a feat from being a copy of his neighbor. Cleric of Mask, how I miss thee.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I think a Wis/Dex cleric would be neat. They'd be kind of like a "first responder" medic, quickly running to where they were needed most.

And I too scratch my head as to why bards at least didn't get Stealth and Thievery. Sure, they can multiclass easily, but bards have got practically all the other skills as class skills - they might have well gotten all skills as class skills.

LightPhoenix

First Post

Can't the sneaky guys get some decent leadership, rather than having all the ranged leaders shoot with Wisdom? And can't -some- leadership happen from the shadows?

I was thinking about this, trying to brainstorm some ideas. The problem I keep coming to is that I always end up at the following question: is it Dex sneakiness (ie, stealth) or is it really Int/Wis/Cha sneakiness (ie, cunning or bluffing)?

For example, one of my ideas was a sort of master manipulator. The problem is that's not really "sneaky" in a stealthy sort of way, but it is in a clever way. That suggests Int of Wis, not Dex. Most of my initial ideas ended up at this problem, where I couldn't justify a Dex primary.

Another idea was basically the opposite of the Assassin - basically a highly mobile leader that stayed hidden/invisible and aided allies. For example, a "Shadow Word" could heal and turn the ally invisible short-term. However, the conclusion I drew when I followed through is that such a leader would suffer the same problems as Bards and Clerics in the previous edition. Such a leader, staying stealthy, would be less involved in battle, and that's boring.

Yet another idea was basically the idea of a highly mobile melee leader. Basically, you move from ally to ally; you'd have a lot of powers that allowed shifts and moves, and you'd want to stay next to allies. However, rather than have a Dex class for that, I think that makes more sense as a Dex build for the current leaders, especially the Warlord.

I suppose if you combined the latter two ideas it might work. It seems a little like it'd be stepping on the toes of the Warlord, or a multiclass Leader/Striker (for example, an Assassin/Warlord).

Remove ads