Why are these minis so hard to get off of eBay?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
NEVER buy single minis off Ebay. It's inefficent. IconUSA is a MUCH better site, even if you can't get any more Harbinger or very few Dragoneye.

Felon

First Post
Actually, just got back from perusing IconUSA. Most rares start at $10 and go up from there--way up in some cases.

Most of the rares I got off of eBay I paid $5-8.00.

Guess I should keep that kind of info to myself, heh.

Thinking about buying one of the Angelfire sets off of eBay that contain 1 of each rare, 2 of each uncommon, and 4 of each common. But they're $250 a pop, so I'm not sure how economical that is compared to just buying the pieces I want, rather than getting all those worthless LG minis made for the skirmish game.

dcollins

Explorer
Felon said:
I realize that all of that may not necessarily have anything to do with the skirmish game--dragons are just popular--but, c'mon, Lareth the Beautiful?

Recall that Lareth the Beautiful is the evil bad guy at the end of Module T1 "The Village of Hommlet", the first introductory-level adventure published for 1st Ed. AD&D. In some sense, there have been people waiting almost 30 years to see this guy.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Felon said:
Actually, just got back from perusing IconUSA. Most rares start at $10 and go up from there--way up in some cases.

Most of the rares I got off of eBay I paid $5-8.00.

Right...and exactly of those, how many did you ACTUALLY get? At least with Icon you can be assured to get EXACTLY the number you want.

Rares aren't cheap, and while Ebay MIGHT be cheaper, in the long run, IconUSA is the best way to go.

Felon

First Post
Nightfall said:
Right...and exactly of those, how many did you ACTUALLY get? At least with Icon you can be assured to get EXACTLY the number you want.

Well, if I'd been willing to pay $11.99 a pop, I'll bet I could've gotten them all. :)

Actually, other than Lareth, the fire giant, and maybe the Vampire Aristocrat, as of today I think I've finally gotten all the ones I want.

ragboy

Explorer
There's also been some buzz created for various minis due to the Age of Worms adventure path in Dungeon. I know the guy that's running our game said that mini prices shot through the roof, once it was known what minis were 'needed' for AoW. I'm pretty mini-neutral to mini-averse. I showed up to an RPGA game this last weekend, and everyone pulled out their cool painted minis and D&D plas-minis. I reached in my bag and withdrew the 'brass dresser drawer knob of many characters,' and everyone oo'ed and aaa'ed. It was kinda funny, and reinforced my anti-mini stance.

Swiftbrook

First Post
Felon said:
I realize that all of that may not necessarily have anything to do with the skirmish game--dragons are just popular--but, c'mon, Lareth the Beautiful?

Simple .... Greyhawk sells. I purchased Lareth and Morti???? (the wizard) because they were Greyhawk. The 4 issues of Dungeon with the World of Greyhawk map were some of their best sellers. Watch, you'll see.

-Swiftbrook

Remove ads