• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Why B/X?

I started playing D&D with OD&D and then Holmes Basic, and then AD&D1e when the DMG came out. My experience then (as now) is that AD&D1e is needlessly complex and arcane with the rules as presented (initiative segments, weapon vs AC tables, initiative segments, weapon speed & reach, initiative segments, ability scores that basically do nothing unless you have a 16+ [17 Strength = +1/+1?], initiative segments, species, age & gender ability score adjustments, initiative segments, huge spell lists, initiative segments, minutia for determining if characters have contracted diseases or parasites from adventuring, initiative segments, etc).

When B/X was released in 1981, it was a HUGE breath of fresh air for me, and I haven't stopped playing it since. I play other editions (I'm in a 5e and an AD&D1e game right now), but B/X is where my heart is with simple unified ability score modifiers, no ability score adjustments, 12 spells per level for Magic Users and 8 for Clerics, and a super-simple but robust framework to hang all your house rules from.

Also, Conan is a Thief in B/X. A thief with ridiculous ability scores, but definitely a thief.

B/X isn't just the "current" focus of the OSR, it generally has been the focus through the whole thing.

Retreater

Legend
I didn't start with B/X (or any of its derivatives), so I have no nostalgia for it. The closest I've gotten to playing it is Old School Essentials with the Advanced Options.
That said, I don't care for it. I wish the OSR movement could lean more into AD&D.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just out of curiosity, why is B/X the (current) focus of the OSR community? Why not AD&D or 2E or BECMI? What makes B/X (and by extension OSE) the primary tool for folks dipping into Old School D&D?
I think it's because it's entry level. Let's be real, and I say this as a 1e fan, AD&D was not user friendly. There are clones of AD&D out there, but I don't think they have the appeal because b/x is much easier to learn and scratch that old school itch. Once people get in, and like it, then they go with things like Advanced OSE (which is AD&D).

But if the market is new players who never played back then, B/X makes the most sense as a way to get them to try it. These folks have no nostalgia, so it makes more sense to start with a user-friendly rule-lite version than try to wade through tons of weird tables and different rules that AD&D has.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its relatively user friendly and, in B/X and many clones, well written and accessible.

But the real reason is that it feels different. A streamlined AD&D is a lot like B/X (and there are OSR options that do just this). But once you start to mod it up, in play its going to start to feel a lot more like 3e or 5e. Then you could just play those.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
B/X isn't just the "current" focus of the OSR, it generally has been the focus through the whole thing.
There was a weird period where everyone pretended that OD&D was the epitome of game design.

But yeah, even those of us who played 1E back in the day ignored at least half of it. Truthfully, we were really playing B/X with 1E classes, races and monsters on both B/X and 1E adventures, which are essentially interchangeable, then and now.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I said "current" because I remember when it first started with OSRIC and that dominated initially.
I recall OSRIC being a curiosity, mostly, except for a few early adopters, and then the bandwagon getting rolling with Swords & Wizardry and Labyrinth Lord, along with many less-popular games. Although if you mark the OSR from starting with Castles & Crusades, we're back to 1E being the dominant mode again (IMO -- obviously there are people who'd call it a 2E game or its own thing entirely).

Last edited:

Remove ads