D&D General why brass and bronze dragons?

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
The other thing with Brass being around is a certain Bahamut decided to steal platnium as a colour choice (Oh, I've issues with Sardior as well, don't let me near him as I'll figure out what we can do to get Ruby Dragons as a proper thing and not just him hogging the entire idea of them)

Mind nowerdays I'd think, if we'd restart it, Lead would be a good choice simply because it has that much weight impact. You hear of a lead dragon, you think some absolute heavy brute of a dragon that's probably anti-magic or the like

Well, while the Greyhawk dragon did appear in Dragon #339 (2006), it made an earlier debut for 3E in Living Greyhawk Journal Volume 1 #1 (2000). But at the time, you only got that particular newsletter if you were a member of the RPGA.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.
The Greyhawk dragon appeared in the AD&D supplement "Greyhawk Adventures" by James Ward. Was that the first appearance? I don't know. Also, it was in the 2e Monster Manual supplement for Greyhawk.

also, what's with the lack of the other colours for chromatics?
I imagine the early days of D&D being like a scene from Reservoir Dogs.

Why do I have to be the Pink Dragon? Why can't I be the Black Dragon?

Because we already have a Black Dragon.

Easy for you to say. You have a kewl sounding name. You're the White Dragon. And he's the Red Dragon. How kewl is that?!

OK fine! No Pink Dragons. You can be the Blue Dragon.

Why can't I be Yellow?

Because that's Gold! There's already a Gold Dragon. You can either be the Blue Dragon or you're going back to Pink!

Jeez! I was just asking. Blue Dragon is fine. Also, Blue Dragons don't tip.

Wadda mean you don't tip?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I imagine the early days of D&D being like a scene from Reservoir Dogs.

Why do I have to be the Pink Dragon? Why can't I be the Black Dragon?

Because we already have a Black Dragon.

Easy for you to say. You have a kewl sounding name. You're the White Dragon. And he's the Red Dragon. How kewl is that?!

OK fine! No Pink Dragons. You can be the Blue Dragon.

Why can't I be Yellow?

Because that's Gold! There's already a Gold Dragon. You can either be the Blue Dragon or you're going back to Pink!

Jeez! I was just asking. Blue Dragon is fine. Also, Blue Dragons don't tip.

Wadda mean you don't tip?
Now I have to find a way to have the PCs overhear a troupe of dragons planning a heist ...

dave2008

Legend
Wouldn't that have been red, yellow, blue, white, and black, then?
Not a photoshop person I see! When you are dealing with light (like a computer screen) you have RGB (red, green, and blue). Black and White are just values of light, which are a complete lack of light (black) or complete saturation (white). So RGB is correct, when dealing with how we make light. The very screen you are looking likely use this exact concept when making the image you are looking at (traditionally red pixels, green pixels, and blue pixels arranged in a particular order/ concentration to trick our eyes into see all possible colors).

Print media uses CMYK - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (can't remember why black is K).

EDIT: @Charlaquin said it better here

dave2008

Legend
Not really relevant to what I said. I didn't say that they were a combination of two dragon types. I said they are a combination of two different colors blended together, which makes them a color "alloy." This is a fact.

There are only 3 primary colors. Red, Blue and Yellow. Literally every other color is a blending of some combination of those three, making all other colors "alloys."
Not correct, when dealing with light RGB are the primary colors as @Charlaquin stated.

Remove ads