• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why can't I search?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Zappo said:
Since Search is one of the most resource-consuming features for the server, its access is limited. You need to purchase a Community Supporter account to use the Search feature. You also get a custom title and a warm fuzzy feeling. :D
Adonis said:
i honestly believe that if this site had better management, this board would be lightning fast and search wouldn't cost $35

Shutting the server down "in hopes that it speeds things up" is not a valid tactic for slow traffic, for one.

Considering how many "inside" people (publishers, developers, and so on) i am VERY surprised that no one here can offer some sort of free or discount hosting, especially considering how small this board is.
MerakSpielman said:
15,000 members and over a million threads is small?

Part of the problem with searching is simply the massive number of threads... they never get pruned or deleted.

A new server is in the works, though, from what I understand, that will speed things up considerably.

Keeping sites like this up is an expensive prospect, and even the big online RPG stores don't have very much disposable income.
Psionicist said:
Well, yeah, I hate to say it but yes. Here are a couple of large message boards: http://www.big-boards.com/

However, quantity is not always quality. This is by far the best forum I read, based on the quality of each post.

Me too!

-Hyp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Adonis said:
Shutting the server down "in hopes that it speeds things up" is not a valid tactic for slow traffic, for one.

While you're certainly welcome to your opinion, you should probably make sure that it's correct first. In fact, because the boards stall when they're clogged with database queries, turning them off for a few minutes does get them working quickly again; it gives them a chance to finish writing and indexing tables without being slowed down by server hits. Five minutes off, and they're nice and speedy again for a time. That's certainly better than hours of sluggishness.

I'm certainly looking forward to the new server. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads