• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why can't the nation handle the truth?

Elf Witch

First Post
You can tell your friend is an American thinking about America. You can still do that, you just have to go to a foreign country to make the switch. Yeah, the trail is easier to trace on the first leg, but eventually, you can run in circles enough to lose people. For instance a child abductor who was recently caught had done that with him and his daughter for the last 5 years. Once they left New York, the trail got hard to follow. They eventually found him in France, I believe.

He went from New York, to Paris, to Moscow, to Kiev, to Athens, to Paris, and then into the countryside via public transit.

Well he is and it was about shaking a tail here in America.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Well, there have been incidents of rioting and panic based on news reports. For example, the Rodney King riots, or Orson Wells War of the Worlds broadcast.

Maybe those types of incidents provide the basis for this belief?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It's funny - in the UK the government has said "there might be a fuel strike in a couple of weeks time, so it might be a good idea to top up your car fuel tank"

Cue queues of cars at petrol stations, petrol stations running dry and more disruption than the potentially striking tanker drivers could have hoped for.

Can't take the truth indeed. If people panic under such benign situations, what hope is there for us?

:(

NewJeffCT

First Post
It's funny - in the UK the government has said "there might be a fuel strike in a couple of weeks time, so it might be a good idea to top up your car fuel tank"

Cue queues of cars at petrol stations, petrol stations running dry and more disruption than the potentially striking tanker drivers could have hoped for.

Can't take the truth indeed. If people panic under such benign situations, what hope is there for us?

:(

Similar thing happened here in the Northeast US last October. We had a freak blizzard that knocked out power for most of Connecticut for up to a week in many places. Lines were so long at the gas stations that were open that people were waiting an hour or more for gas, fights were breaking out, etc. (Meanwhile, you could leave the city and drive for about 30 minutes and find a gas station with no lines, then drive the 30 minutes back into the city and you'd still be ahead of the game)

Now, imagine if the zombie apocalypse was happening as well... it would mean mass hysteria - dogs & cats living together.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Yeah, I love that one. Or how about the abridged version of The Lord of the Rings. Where they fly over Mt Doom with the Eagle king and just drop the thing in the lava. The last thing they say is, "wouldn't it have been a pain in the ass to have walked all this way?"
Of course the whole thing would have been written on a napkin. Not exactly epic stuff.

Wasn't there a cartoon with Boromir proposing they use a giant catapult to fire the ring into Mt Doom?

Janx

Hero
Well he is and it was about shaking a tail here in America.

I think your example negated his point anyway. You can't leave America to a crappy country to shake the tail when you got to get through America's airport checkpoint system.

I think @Morrus; and [MENTION=10784]NewJeffCT[/MENTION] have found the examples I was looking for where the public gets stupid and makes things worse.

And the public wonders why it can't have nice things....

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I think your example negated his point anyway. You can't leave America to a crappy country to shake the tail when you got to get through America's airport checkpoint system.

Thats why you leave the country by crossing the rio grand then take off to where ever you want to go from there. Like it or not, when ICE enforces the boarder they only enforce it when people going into the us and not when they are leaving (assuming you are not involved in a police chase).

Using the Airline to leave the US if you are fleeing is stupid since when the Gov. is using all it's power they can prevent you from leaving the US, they can pull your passport for something like owing money for taxes, or child support (I wouldn't be surprised is owing money on student loans is added to the list).

-Posted via mobile device.

Banshee16

First Post
tQUOTE=Janx;5863375]Yeah, the "my friends can't handle the truth" also gets old. I tend to surround myself with people who I trust and can handle statements like "I'm actually an Alien CIA operative and last year I found out your father was really an ex-KGB Jovian Spy bent on destroying New Mexico and he died during my attempt to apprehend him. I'm sorry."

I suspect more spies break the news to their family than live a double-life that makes them look like a Cheaters suspect.

I suspect that aliens don't exist because there's too many underpaid government workers involved who would blab to somebody about what they actually do for a living.[/QUOTE]

It's an interesting point....and I tend to agree.....if aliens *had visited earth and been in contact with humans* someone would have blabbed, I'm thinking.

That having been said, just because nobody has blabbed has nothing to do whether there is life in the rest of the Universe, or intelligent life. I think it's pretty likely that there is both life, and intelligent life out there. But, the distances are so vast, it's probably unlikely that we'll ever contact anyone else. And they could be so different from us that we have no frame of reference by which to understand them or relate to them.

Banshee

Remove ads