• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did CAdv leave out Ascetic Cleric?

jayaint

First Post
Shouldn't clerics get the same oppurtunity to gain something from a mild feat-based acesticism?

Does anyone have a house-ruled feat that balances into this "genre" of feat?

-jay

FireLance

Legend
In my view, it isn't really necessary since there's quite a good ability score synergy between the monk and cleric class. High wisdom means better AC and more and stronger (higher DC)spells. Plus, there's the Sacred Fist in Complete Divine which is ideal for a monk/cleric multiclass.

If I were to create one, I would just work it along the lines of Ascetic Mage: can sacrifice a divine spell to get bonuses to hit and damage, and monk and cleric levels stack to determine unarmed damage and AC bonus.

jayaint

First Post
Technically, Croth... that rationale would eliminate a huge percentage of PrC's and feats. Just because something is complimentary doesn't mean it shouldn't get a mechanic to make it smoother or to accentuate one portion of that combo (with an obvious trade-off). :heh:

I like the idea of the cleric and monk levels stacking, though I would like it to be AC, unarmed dmg and speed, armor-less of course. I feel as though maybe it should be some mechanic like permantly powering these monk-powers with a turn-rebuke attempt, or possibly a turn/rebuke per every 3 cleric levels that are translated to monk-ness.

Anyone?

-jay

Dracomeander

First Post
On a related note, I don't understand why they limited Asectic Mage to just the Monk/Sorcerer combination. Monk/Wizard should be just as viable using Intelligence instead of Charisma to replace Wisdom for the AC bonus. In my opinion, it would be more appropriate for a scholarly monk order to be a haven of monk/wizards than of monk/sorcerers.

Crothian

First Post
jayaint said:
Technically, Croth... that rationale would eliminate a huge percentage of PrC's and feats. Just because something is complimentary doesn't mean it shouldn't get a mechanic to make it smoother or to accentuate one portion of that combo (with an obvious trade-off). :heh:

Except in this instance of these 7 feats they only choose certain class combinations, once that are weak. This has nothing to do with anything else in the game, just these seven feats and the reasons only these seven feats are there.

jayaint

First Post
Draco, i can see your point. Its just that being a monk seems pretty time-intensive, as does being a wizard. Not saying it couldn't be done, of course; I obviously think it SHOULD be done, just that it doesn't leave a lot of time for adventuring... you know, the good stuff!!! :D

I can see where a monk who spends a lot of time self-centering and meditating might find a special place within him/herself that can cast spells via some kind of inner strength. *shrug*

Croth, IMHO it just seems like where there is MORE synergy, there exists MORE of a chance for cool "blended" feats. Could be wrong. I don't want a broken, munchkin feat, but just a chance for some RAW help with my chosen multi-class.

-jay

jayaint

First Post
Crothian said:
Then go Sacred Fist PrCl from complete Divine

And give up the two levels of spell casting that are built into the PrC, when the other "blends" only need to take a feat to gain synergystic bonuses?

*shrug* I've looked at SacFist, but I would really like to continue to build my turn/rebukes and really be a high-level cleric.. not a PrC jumble. Hence my searching for houseruled feats, etc.

I agree that cleric/monk is already a strong multi-class combo, my initial point was just that it seemed very pick&choose-y to only pick certain combos to endow with such a cool game mechanic.

I'm not trying to be contrary... just seeing if anyone else had some house rules for the "other" combos that the WotC designers left out.

-jay

Crothian

First Post
Then have Ascetic Cleric. Take Ascetic Mage and put in 2nd level divine spells instead of the arcane ones for a requirement. No need swapping the wis bonus to AC to Charisma, but keep the rest

Remove ads