D&D 5E Why do ability scores cap at 20 instead of 18?

Sorry missed your joke. That sentiment really rubs me the wrong way.
I am perfectly fine with your argumentation. I see where you are coming from. But I personally came to the conclusion, that strength is better represented as abilities within the context of dnd.
I think to really represent strength by atteibute increase, you have to give a +8 bonus or so, as 3e did. That was often balanced by size bonuses and or level modifiers. Both in the end only made tgat system more complex for no real gain in my opinion.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I am perfectly fine with your argumentation. I see where you are coming from. But I personally came to the conclusion, that strength is better represented as abilities within the context of dnd.
I think to really represent strength by atteibute increase, you have to give a +8 bonus or so, as 3e did. That was often balanced by size bonuses and or level modifiers. Both in the end only made tgat system more complex for no real gain in my opinion.
If you don't want a strong heritage to get a bonus to hit and damage, then strength shouldn't affect those things. Seems pretty simple.

If you don't want a strong heritage to get a bonus to hit and damage, then strength shouldn't affect those things. Seems pretty simple.

I would be fine with that too, and actually gave that as feedback during the playtests.
I think, stats should affect skills and secondary abilities.
Adding to "to hit" makes the stat too important and to "damage" makes hit point bloat mandatory.

I like cantrips that don't add stat bonus to damage by default.

So here you are, as we germans say "break down open doors".

Remathilis

Legend
I'd advocate that ability mods should only affect skills and checks, and that attack rolls, initiative, AC, HP class features and spellcasting should not be modified by ability but only by level, gear, and/or PB.

Quit the "race to 20 in prime stat and then have fun" mentality.

Remove ads