Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

American English is pretty varied. I am actually trying to think of how people where I live pronounce Centaur and I am pretty sure it isn't 'centar' here. But I'd need to grab someone with a thicker accent and ask them to say it (and now I am too conscious of the question to say it honestly myself lol)

EDIT: Also I am pretty sure I say pronounce the 'aur' like in dinosaur

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube from the Sorted Food channel, which is a small gaggle of British guys, each with a different accent, and the way they pronounce things ranges from hilarious to painful.

Brits shouldn’t be allowed to say “taco” until they learn how to say it right.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube from the Sorted Food channel, which is a small gaggle of British guys, each with a different accent, and the way they pronounce things ranges from hilarious to painful.

Brits shouldn’t be allowed to say “taco” until they learn how to say it right.
I imagine they're using a fair bit of oregano and basil in some meals

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
With the "ah" sound.

Au(ah)spicious
Au(ah)dacity
Au(ah)to
Clau(ah)strophobia
Menopau(ah)se
Plau(ah)sible

Everyone I've ever met and heard say these words and other "au" words has also pronounced them that way. Except dinosaur. There may be some other exceptions, but I cannot recall those words at the moment. Perhaps it's an American thing, since @turnip_farmer is from England. Do you pronounce them the way he does?
Do(AW)g
Co(AW)ffee
Ta(AW)lk
Wa(AW)lk

With the "ah" sound.

Au(ah)spicious
Au(ah)dacity
Au(ah)to
Clau(ah)strophobia
Menopau(ah)se
Plau(ah)sible

Everyone I've ever met and heard say these words and other "au" words has also pronounced them that way. Except dinosaur. There may be some other exceptions, but I cannot recall those words at the moment. Perhaps it's an American thing, since @turnip_farmer is from England. Do you pronounce them the way he does?

I may be misunderstanding how you are using 'ah' but I think the au's I pronounce and people around me pronounce, as 'aw' (like paws). Seems mostly about how these words are pronounced on the US east coast (north east last, probably changes further south).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I may be misunderstanding how you are using 'ah' but I think the au's I pronounce and people around me pronounce, as 'aw' (like paws). Seems mostly about how these words are pronounced on the US east coast (north east last, probably changes further south).
Sounds pretty much the same.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m an Army Brat in the USA, so moving every 2-4 years (including 3 years in Bavaria) weirded my accent & pronunciation.

For me:

Au(aw)spicious
Au(aw)dacity
Au(aw)to
Clau(ow)strophobia
Menopau(ah)se
Plau(aw)sible

Remove ads