Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

MGibster

Legend
In the Treaty of Washington (1871), Great Britain ceded the word centaur to the United States as an act of contrition for allowing Confederate war ships to use Liverpool as a port to launch raids against Union forces. The United States in turn agreed to the water border between the state of Washington and British Columbia as the Crown desired.

We do it because we can. We love mispronouncing words from other cultures, just because we know the rest of the world will eventually say it our way, and we get a kick out of how irate that makes some people.

If you're ever in the states on an American ISP you'll discover that we have a whole private Internet just for coordinating our mispronunciations.

MGibster

Legend
We don't put out advertisements (ad-ver-tise-ments not ad-ver-tis-ments), but it's a well known fact that the Americans became the keepers and guardians of the true English language many, may years ago. It's not a bold (bold not "borld") claim on my part, and had I more leisure (lee-zhur not lezh-uh) time I would be more than happy to make you take your medicine (med-eh-sun not med-sun) but I don't want you to feel patronized (pat-run-eyezed not pay-trun-eyezed).

Appalachian English is closer to Shakespearean English than that modern RP stuff you do in the old country. Maybe there is a user near the Blue Ridge Mountains that can settle this pronunciation question for us before this thread goes nukular?

Born and raised in the shadow of the Smokies. I pronounce it the same way I do minotaur or taurus, with an "oar" sound. 🐂

Esau Cairn

Explorer
Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

Rather a board stroke to cast over a country with literally a dozen major dialects and more than a hundred minor ones.

Its American public education at its finest.

A few summers ago, I had a debate with some university graduates from Germany about their county's 472km border with Poland--which they insisted did not exist. At first, I thought they were joking--being ironical obtuse or perhaps smugly nationalistic--but the longer the conversation continued, the more I wish (almost for the first time) that I carried a cellular device with access to verifiable information.

Public education is almost always available to those who want it.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4