Why DO Other Games Sell Less?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, I've heard of Karl May- my dad is a big fan of Westerns. That's why I said "mainly" and not "exclusively." We Americans are the main intended audience for Western-themed RPGs...any others who enjoy them is pure gravy.

As for other games' non-English sales, other than a couple of the BIG ones- D&D, RIFTS, GURPS, Shadowrun- what I've seen abroad have mainly been home-grown games that haven't been translated into English!

On a related note, it seems that Rackham is taking a new slant on their Confrontation minis fantasy combat game, producing a new game with the Confrontation rules as the underpinning for their new RPG...kinda like the close link between Battletech and MechWarrior.

Hussar

Legend
Just as another point about making money with modules. Sure, Dungeon makes money. Now. Let's not forget that Dragon and Dungeon took a wee siesta not that long ago. But, in any case, name another module magazine?

For that matter, I would be curious as to which magazine has greater circulation Dungeon or Dragon. That would point to the viability of modules if Dragon has much greater circulation. I honestly don't know, I'm just tossing it out there.

But, let's face it, the reason WOTC didn't want to make modules is because they don't make much if any profit from them. There just isn't enough demand. Even take one of the "great" modules, Rappan Athuk Reloaded. This was a product with a HUGE buzz about it - lots of great reviews, tons of bandwidth. They printed what, 1500 copies?

That's not a whole lot of product.

I'd be shocked if any module outside of WOTC sells more than a few thousand. That's just not terribly viable.

But, my original point wasn't so much about the viability of modules themselves. Sure, you take a hit on the module, but, if you sell the module, you also sell the core three and you might just entice someone else to try DMing as well - thus selling the core three again. I am unaware of any other gaming system that gives DM's anywhere near the support that DnD does.

GURPS has hands down some of the best researched setting books on the market. I think most people agree with that. However, after I buy GURPS Space (FREX), I then have to spend several hours crafting a campaign and adventures. All before I can sit down and play. Granted, this appeals to some people, but, the vast majority of people buy a game to play it.

The brilliance of the old boxed set really shines when you think about it. I buy the Basic game, read the book (maybe) and play Keep on the Borderland. Then I play it again because we realize we screwed up the first time. Then we move up to Expert rules and do it again. Many, many hours of gaming with minimal time investment.

To me, that has been the greatest acheivement for DnD. I really don't think there's another game on the market that I can do so little as a DM and still run a fun game.

RFisher

Explorer
sullivan said:
That's an interesting line that I think could use some 'splaining. :?

I dunno.

Maybe because it'd help break the mindset that judges games based on how recently something was published for it & how well it sold.

After 30 years the landscape of the hobby has been pretty well explored & much of it rehashed, re-rehashed, & re-re-rehashed. We already have all the tools we need. More than we need. & while I am sure there's still lots of undiscovered crevices out there, they're getting harder & harder to find with each passing month.

I dunno.

I just know that much of the industry (beyond dice manufacturing) is irrelevant to my game these days, while the community is more relevant to my game than ever.

Glyfair

Explorer
Hussar said:
For that matter, I would be curious as to which magazine has greater circulation Dungeon or Dragon. That would point to the viability of modules if Dragon has much greater circulation. I honestly don't know, I'm just tossing it out there.

Based on the circulation information in January's issues this year:

Dragon

Avg number of paid copies during previoius 12 months: 54,637
Number of paid copies most recent month: 50,060

Dungeon

Avg number of paid copies during previous 12 months: 32,195
Number of paid copies most recent month: 31,291

So, we are looking at Dungeon selling about 60% of what Dragon sells. BTW, for comparisons sake, in 1992 Dragon had a circulation of 125,000 copies. That year Dungeon had a circulation of 15,000 copies.

Last edited:

GMSkarka

Explorer
Ipissimus said:
I'm sorry, but I think the whole thing about modules losing money is an urban, or perhaps business, myth.

You're mistaken in that belief.

It's simple math -- modules primarily sell only to GMs. GMs are a smaller subset of all available players. Hence, sales of modules are smaller than sales of products that are usable by all players.

Modules don't necessarily lose money, but they're not as long-term profitable as other sorts of releases.

Remove ads