• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do people pretend CR makes sense?

LostSoul

Adventurer
eyebeams said:
You probably wouldn't scale it that fine. The ability to use third level spells would count if the sorcerer used at least one of them.

You'd probably always include resistances and other constant abilities.

That would be... interesting. I could see trying to decide if I should kill the monster now, or wait until he uses another special ability. Can I survive its next attack? Is the XP worth it?

I would probably not want to smack a bad guy down before he had the chance to do anything. Interesting. It would be neat to try.

Thanee

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
Cthulhu, (an elder god) is CR 33, according to Call of Cthulhu d20 edition.
Eliminster is CR 35.

Didn't know Elminster was active in Call of Cthulhu, too. Way to go, Elmi! :D

Bye
Thanee

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
LostSoul said:
That would be... interesting. I could see trying to decide if I should kill the monster now, or wait until he uses another special ability. Can I survive its next attack? Is the XP worth it?

I would probably not want to smack a bad guy down before he had the chance to do anything. Interesting. It would be neat to try.
Ugh, talk about metagaming. IMHO roleplaying should encourage immersion and suspension of disbelief, not distance you from the story. If you think about how the monster can give you the most xp, instead of trying to solve the encounter your character's way - which can be toying with an enemy or simply killing them the fastest way possible - you're playing a metagame, not a game anymore.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
You are mistaking presentation for content. Moreover, you are attempting to "prove" that the content is substantially different on the basis of the presentation being substantially different. Your questions are based on the conflation of the two. The disparity between presentation has nothing to do with the similarity of content.

I accept that it is possible to accomplish the same with both systems, on a theorectical level.

As a practical matter, the longer you duck answering the questions the more clear it becomes that there is a genuine difference that matters.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Tarril Wolfeye said:
Ugh, talk about metagaming. IMHO roleplaying should encourage immersion and suspension of disbelief, not distance you from the story. If you think about how the monster can give you the most xp, instead of trying to solve the encounter your character's way - which can be toying with an enemy or simply killing them the fastest way possible - you're playing a metagame, not a game anymore.

After reading through the metagaming thread, I've come to the conclusion that my metagaming "preferences" are vastly different from those most people have. :)

Knowing that I'm giving up XP because I killed the monster in the first round (or incapacitated him before he could do anything) would annoy and frustrate me.

Kormydigar

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
IME the majority of 3e XP comes from overcoming obstacles and achieving goals. Sometimes that involves killing things and sometimes it does not..

I agree 100% and do just that. All I am saying is that particular definition of challenges comes from the DM and not the rules ( In any edition BTW)

.[/QUOTE]I do not see locking the reward of XP to the reward of gaining treasure to be a plus.[/QUOTE]

I don't either. I was just pointing out that comparing the 3rd. Ed XP system to any earlier edition just isn't practical. Its like apples and oranges.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Crothian said:
I think that is more of a reflection that d20 CoC and D&D are not the same game. So, what is CR 10 in one game is not CR 10 in the other.

No, they're the same game. Give your PC's SAN points in accordance with the rules of CoC, and then send a CR 10 san-drainer after them (don't have my book on me at this moment, can't quote from memory) and you'll ind that they fare roughly as well as a 10th level CoC party does.

Crothian

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
No, they're the same game. Give your PC's SAN points in accordance with the rules of CoC, and then send a CR 10 san-drainer after them (don't have my book on me at this moment, can't quote from memory) and you'll ind that they fare roughly as well as a 10th level CoC party does.

Not really, a few fireballs and the creature will be dead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads