D&D General why do we have halflings and gnomes?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So what? Adventurers don't have to be upper class (and I'm pretty sure most are not), they just have to not conform to cultural norms. "Upper class" is merely an exception that has been pointed out for certain very class based real world human societies.

Because I've only witness one halfling PC that wasn't "x killed all my family" or "I'm not like other halflings" or "I'm am the tiny terror!" in traditional settings.

Oofta

Legend
Because I've only witness one halfling PC that wasn't "x killed all my family" or "I'm not like other halflings" or "I'm am the tiny terror!" in traditional settings.
The vast majority of most races stay home instead of going adventuring. There are only so many reasons to go adventuring. Is "I am the tiny terror" really any different than the goliath saying "Hulk smash"?

You're also seem to be assuming that your microscopically small (even if it's been dozens of halflings) slice of player's halfling's motivations and your interpretation of them is indicative of the larger whole.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's the thing.

D&D halflings culture is specifically stated to have no upper class.
They are specifically stated to typically have no nobility or royalty to lead them. That's not the same as having no upper class(ie merchants and other wealthy individuals). Also, "typically" means that there are rare halfling societies that do have nobility/royalty.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think that’s an interesting subversion of the existing tropes, and helps explain the relative (though not total) lack of a culture distinct from humanity, as slave owners would have actively worked to erase existing halfling culture.
I've been working on a setting for a good while now and, in it, the halflings were ''mage-bred'' by a slave-owning magocracy from different humanoid stock to create the perfect slaves:
  • smaller, so they consume less food and requires less lodging space.
  • no magic powers.
  • resilient.

Now, that evil magocracy fell a long time ago, so the halfling were freed, but are still living in Alienages (stolen from Dragon Age) in many cities and are not even citizens.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
They are specifically stated to typically have no nobility or royalty to lead them. That's not the same as having no upper class(ie merchants and other wealthy individuals). Also, "typically" means that there are rare halfling societies that do have nobility/royalty.
The write-ups specifically say halflings don't dream of gold and glory.

It's D&D that says 99.99999% of halflings are rustic low class folk who don't do anything major, not me

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've set my campaign in Exandria, where Garl Glittergold isn't a thing, but I totally got this impression of gnome kids watching an 80's-style Garl Glittergold Saturday morning cartoon when I read Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

The gnomish deities, and Garl Glittergold, in particular, are pretty clearly from the mold of the "culture hero", known not just for creating the world, but for their various personal exploits within the world that shape it for the people.

Gruumsh, Larethian, Zeus - these guys all sit around and rule from on high, telling folks to do stuff. Garl goes out and does things himself.

Oofta

Legend
The write-ups specifically say halflings don't dream of gold and glory.

It's D&D that says 99.99999% of halflings are rustic low class folk who don't do anything major, not me

So? They aren't murder hobos looking for gold and glory. They do it for more personal reasons.

Even adventurers among them usually venture into the world for reasons of community, friendship, wanderlust, or curiosity. They love discovering new things ... Halflings are easily moved to pity and hate to see any living thing suffer.​
In addition, no race is monolithic in thought and motivation.

Remove ads