Why Do You Hate An RPG System?

Nagol

Unimportant
I'm not being argumentative - I was simply a huge fan of RQ2 and a long-time player of all things Glorantha. In RQ2, iron was a rune metal for cults that could work it, rare and very dangerous. But no more rare and dangerous than lead weapons, or gold weapons, or wooden weapons.

Bronze was the default. The properties of other weapons and armour weren't envisaged as a function of metallurgy, but of religious and cultural blessing.
Nor am I! It caught me a bit off guard is all. I'm trying to imagine a bronze 2-handed sword being used for a 3rd strike. Either we glossed over the whole "it was made of bronze" or I let that detail go in the last 30+ years. I remember rune metal (vaguely).

lordabdul

Explorer
I also should reiterate that I think RQ is a beautiful system. I just find it very punishing in actual play
I think RQ is mostly trying to model the brutal aspect of combat which you can find in many Bronze-Age treatments like Conan, 300, and so on. The side-effect is that it does indeed make some players avoid combat more than they should, but I'm not sure it can be helped. It's the same thing with, say, Call of Cthulhu's SAN mechanics which can make some players so overly cautious that they go out of their way to not read any books and not go into any basement or cave, therefore avoiding the very core activity that the game is trying to make you play. In some way, even though it's a perfectly understandable reaction, you could consider it a mild case of "premise rejection" on the side of the players. Thankfully, some other players are happy to read the books and go in the basement and gleefully go mad while saving the world (or not), and, similarly, other players are happy to get bloody in RQ, dancing around flying severed limbs. Also of note: the new recently released RQ edition is much friendlier with characters, giving them way better stats and access to magic, so combat is still dangerous but healing aftewards seems much better to me. But that's a whole other discussion.

For those who want the more "mythic hero" aspect of Bronze Age tales, yes, as people pointed out, HeroWars/Quest is a good choice because it was explicitly designed to play these kinds of narrative tropes. Most other narrative-driven systems would probably work well too.

Rolemaster has GMing advice that ticks the second box, although it can be ignored
Can you point me to the appropriate book for this? I'm curious.

pemerton

Legend
I think RQ is mostly trying to model the brutal aspect of combat which you can find in many Bronze-Age treatments like Conan, 300, and so on.

<snip>

the new recently released RQ edition is much friendlier with characters, giving them way better stats and access to magic, so combat is still dangerous but healing aftewards seems much better to me. But that's a whole other discussion.
Conan inflicts violence on others fairly frequently and effectively. But he himself is rarely hurt too badly. And even when he is - eg the crucifixion in A Witch Shall Be Born - he recovers.

There is an asymmetry in the effectiveness of "PCs" and "NPCs" that a strictly simulationist system like RQ struggles with.

Can you point me to the appropriate book for this? I'm curious.
I think I'm thinking of RMSS GM Law. It's been a while, though.

Aldarc

Hero
Not that there are too many more haters hating on the things they hate in this thread, but should I make a new thread to discuss Bronze Age Fantasy in TTRPG?

JeffB

Hero
FWIW- if RQ is too Sim and the narrative of HEROQUEST is not your bag, please don't overlook 13th Age in Glorantha, it's absolutely fantastic and likely more appealing to typical D20 game fans

.P.S. Bronze is mined from the bones of the dead gods as per RQ2. So while it's bronze, it's mythical bronze and pretty strong ;)

Last edited:

JeffB

Hero
A further response: of course @chaochou is right to point to HeroWars/Quest for modern Gloranthan RPGing.

I also think that a properly-curated D&D 4e could do bronze age fantasy -

FWIW- I ran a handful of sessions of a 4E Glorantha game and used Slayers , Rogues and Warpriests for PC's. Probably the only version of D&D that ever will work good for Glorantha.

Advertisement