Why do you have a colossal...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
well, I used to have a colossal AD&D collection of 1E and 2E stuff... but after I stopped playing/writing, it just got to be a hassle to move all that stuff every time I got transferred to another town... so I ended up tossing bits and pieces of it each time until today, I only have a handful of stuff left...

Do you put your gaming books in a pile and sleep on them?

Something new to try!!!

Huw

First Post
A number of factors:

1) Been playing for 25 years.
2) Nearly always the DM.
3) Keen to buy & try new systems to unleash on players.
4) Supernatural ability to detect obscure small-press RPGs in second-hand book shops.
5) Reluctance to sell.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I had a colossal collection, but did pare it down a bit. However, my reason for having it are:

1. Been gaming a long time (nearly 30 years), so editions begin to pile up as I don't like tossing them out.
2. I liked going to gaming stores / used book stores and finding bargain bin rpgs. I'd snatch them up.
3. When I go to conventions, my gaming dollars went toward splurging on gaming stuff and I would play every game I could except D&D (becuase I played D&D at home). Naturally there were many cool games out there that were awesome to play in the convention that I would pick up to take home.
4. My players also were collectors and we would be very enthusiastic as to the latest splatbook that WotC was coming out with so we could incorporate the latest material into the game.

Bluenose

Adventurer
I'm 47 years old. I've been playing since the 1970s. I rarely get rid of things. I've got huge arrays of material for some settings, nearly everything for some. Result, a colossal collection.

Whisper72

Explorer
Hmm.... yeah... starteg gaming over 25 years ago, like to collect the old editions I played for nostalgia's sake (BECMI & 1st edition) en loved many of the 2nd Ed settings (spelljammer, planescape, ravenloft, dark sun especially). Never had to throw anything away / sell stuff off. Stuff accumulates quickly... I like reading RPG materials similar to novels, so I do not mind buying stuff I know I'll never directly/completely use in game, just mine them for ideas...

Remove ads