Why do you have a colossal...

Redcrow

First Post
I'm really not sure why my RPG collection is as big as it is. I like having lots of RPG books and various setting materials to mine for ideas, but the sheer number of books and pdfs I have its sometimes difficult to remember what I have and what I don't.

I certainly have more RPG materials than I could possibly get full use out of in a single lifetime. Maybe if I gamed 7 days a week 6 to 8 hours a day, but at my age that just isn't realistic.

In addition to all my purchased RPG materials I have about a box and a half full of handwritten notebooks and hand-drawn maps for various adventures. Some of which I've never used. Even when I'm not GMing a game (which is rare for me) I have some overwhelming compulsion to always be creating/working on something.

Collecting / Playing for over 25 years

Completist attitude with Darksun and Eberron

Completist attitude with trading cards and DDM

Versitility / options by having MANY resources to draw from

enjoyment of reading and using my imagination while using everything

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
That's what she said.

I used to have a gigantic collection, but lately (as in, last three years) I've been getting rid of the stuff I haven't actually been using anymore (as in, the last ten years). Nowadays I just have a slightly too large.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Gaming is my hobbie, it is what I do to relax and get away from the stress of my day-to-day. I enjoy readign the source books and thinking about the creation of world and dungeons, cultures and how stories are created.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
My collection isn't colossal but is a decent-sized work in progress. At this point I'm collecting AD&D stuff and books for games that I've loved over the past 30 years of gaming.
The reasons for collecting are:
1] Nostalgia
2] Research for the creation of my own game rules and campaign materials
3] A desire to get back to playing simpler, less rule-intensive games

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Gaming is my hobbie, it is what I do to relax and get away from the stress of my day-to-day. I enjoy readign the source books and thinking about the creation of world and dungeons, cultures and how stories are created.

Pretty much this, but also because I like being a resource for people who are looking for information about a particular D&D product....

well, I used to have a colossal AD&D collection of 1E and 2E stuff... but after I stopped playing/writing, it just got to be a hassle to move all that stuff every time I got transferred to another town... so I ended up tossing bits and pieces of it each time until today, I only have a handful of stuff left...

noffham

Explorer
As many others have said, I've been playing forever, (D&D since 1974 and wargaming before that). And I seldom toss anything gaming related.

Now I spend as much time reading and idea mining as I do actual playing. It's my hobby/avocation.

Remove ads