Why do you NOT like 3.5 ?

What dont you like about 3.5 ? (multiple choices)

• Yes I like 3.5

Votes: 143 57.0%
  • No I dont like 3.5

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Neutral or Split opinion on 3.5

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • No "updates" were necessary. 3.0 works fine.

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • It was made only to sell more books.

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Nothing really actually changed.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • "There can only be One". (You still play 1.0)

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • The changes made were more bad than good.

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • The changes werent enough and many more changes were needed.

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • You just hate buying new books

Votes: 36 14.3%

I have not had time to thourghly digest the 3.5 books but at first glance I will stay will 3.0 but switch in the new classes and race descriptions.

I REALLY like the MM with it's PC section. I wish it was done that way from the beginning.

Felon

First Post
I like 3.5 well enough to buy it.

But I find the changes regarding weapon sizes to be a total throwback.

And the ranger is now so glutted with abilities that I find it kind it a bit of a kludge.

Zogg

First Post
I've gotten over the whole "I have issues w/3.5" thing. I mean, no, it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's good enough and it has the industry talking, moving and shaking. And we all know hype sells....and the more money put in the better stuff we get out. At least that's my opinion.

mouseferatu said:

Obviously, this poll isn't yet large enough to qualify as comprehensive, but...

I think you're going to find that this sort of thing--discovering that far more people like something that it first seemed--is quite common in this industry/market.

The truth is, for good or ill, people on average tend to speak up more when they're unhappy with something. Thus, a majority of those who like something (or at least don't dislike it) tend to remain quiet, making their opinions known only if directly asked.

So, in any given community where the overtly stated opinions seem to suggest an even split in the opinions on a given subject, the truth will often (though certainly not always) lie far more toward the positive than the negative.

Oh, and for the record, I voted that I like 3.5. There are a few changes I dislike, but they are vastly outnumbered by those I'm happy with.

I'm not surprised by this development at all. Firstly, on the Internet minorities are QUITE vocal and this easily distorts the perception of the average fan's feelings about a book.

Second (and more importantly), my FLGS owner informed me that the Revised Core Books have clearly outsold the original Core Books even at their higher price (and in Denmark the standard price for the Core Books is 300 kroner - if you took the cover price from the US and transferred it directly, it should only be between 180-240 kroner. I wish WotC books would be cheap as in the US :( ). This FLGS is located in our second largest city and takes care of a very large percentage of the total sales in Denmark (through shipping - we're only 5 million after all) - so I think it is safe to assume that 3,5 is a stunning success here.

-Zarrock

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
In 3.5 I like -
- the class changes, makes them more balanced with each other
- most of the feat changes and additions
- most of the clarifications
- Druids spontaneous casting of SNA (a weak improvement, but nice flavor)
- the dropping of exclusive skills (UMD for the sorcerer, weeeeeeee)

In 3.5 I dislike-
- the neutering of the casters, with regards to weakened spells
- the overpowering changes to Improved Trip and Improved Grapple.

In the one 3.0 game I'm in, we're updating to 3.5 Monks, Druids, Bards and Barbarians, but nothing else. I'm especially disappointed in the new grappling rules and the trip rules, since neither is linked to hit points, a low-level grappler or tripper can make mincemeat out of a much higher level character, so a well-rounded fighter has to develop defense strategies against something that shouldn't be so efficient.

Greg

Psion

Adventurer
I'm not really seeing the poll selections that exactly fit.

There are many changes in 3.5 that were expedient and necessary.

But, unfortunately, there are a few that are neat in theory, but require too many changes to be practical.

And there are changes that are not very good ideas at all.

satori01

First Post
I look at the new facing rules(with the scrunching penalties) and DR system and wonder Why?

3.5 gives negative marks in my book, despite my using it, for adding extra work into my game, namely making myself and those that play it wonder at the motivation behind a rule change and wether the change was warranted, wether the "problem" was a big deal, and weather the change is a good one.

I will gladly change rules if the new rule is clearly superior to the old rule,(3e vs 2e or 1e for xample), but beside the class changes, I see little in 3.5 that is clearly superior, that made me stop for a section and appreciate an elegant design.

Adding uncertainty is a bad thing(tm).

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Meh ... I don't really have the $140 CAN to buy the books, or specifically to buy the mostly-same stuff all over again.

I almost did it ... but instead picked up three other 3E books that I hadn't yet gotten, specifically Savage Species, Deities and Demigods, and MM2, giving me a fairly completely framework of all the 3E books. Everyone in my gaming group has all three of the 3E corebooks, and none of us have $140 each to 'upgrade' for something with changes to something that works for us already. I might steal some of the better chances from the Open Gaming document, but for most it'll be a pass.

Arnwyn

First Post
I like all weakening of spells and magic items. I also like the class improvements (though the paladin's mount thing is idiotic).

But... what's up with the weird 3.5e cover rules? Now it's just +4 all the time (unless the DM wants to "adjust")? Screwy.

I also don't like the entire 3.5 equipment chapter - way too many omissions and poor new rules (weapons sizes).

I also laughed at the removal of many of the demons' and devils' spell-like powers. I put them all back.

Maraxle

First Post
I don't think I'll be getting 3.5. I might take some changes from the SRD, but that's about it. Personally, I can't justify dropping $60-$90 (depending on where I would order it) on books that I already have. I've flipped through each of them at the bookstore and didn't see enough of an improvement to get me to buy them. I play a rules-light interpretation of the game anyway, so the new combat section wouldn't do much for me.

The money isn't a problem, but my $60-$90 would be better spent on Arcana Unearthed (plus a couple of DVDs), one of my other hobbies, 3-4 bottles of my favorite reasonably-priced wine, or dinner at a decent restaurant with my girlfriend.

Remove ads