D&D General Why do you play non-human races?

Tallifer

Hero
Sometimes the cool image: garden gnomes and Tolkienian elves and hobbits.

Sometimes the racial abilities because the game makes it mechanically useful to play certain races for certain archetypes.

Two things I like best about 5E are lower stat caps and bounded accuracy, so that your starting race has very little effect on your character. You can easily play a dwarven mage or a gnomish barbarian.

Laurefindel

Legend
Because non-human races are not that far from human to start with. They all have humanlike anatomy, humanlike emotions, humanlike needs... Elves are probably the most alien (Warforge notwithstanding) with their lack of true sleep, but still they can breed with humans, so not that far.

Also, they provide handy archetypes and stereotypes to build upon or move away from. Basically, the right balance of escapism and familiarity.

Also, Darkvision as mentioned above :) Joke aside, the thought of not have to be afraid of the dark (one of humans’ most primal fear) is immensely comforting, if only on a subconscious level.

Last edited:

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I'm one of the "why play a human when I can be something else" crowd. Sometimes the particular race I choose is due to mechanics, sometimes because something appeals to be about the race and the character I have in mind. I'm currently playing an aasimar in season 9 of AL (Descent into Avernus) in part because the idea of playing a being with angelic ties in an adventure that delves into hell struck me as interesting.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
I spend all my non-gaming time being human, I like to try something different.

But also, mechanically in almost every game, Humans are treated as the Vanilla base standard. To me this makes them a bit boring to play.

Now see, if we had a setting that treated humans as NOT just bog standard, that actually considered Humans' noteworthy traits, I might play a human.

Did you know?
-Humans are a pursuit hunter. Our ancestors hunted larger stronger faster creatures by simply following at a walking pace night and day till their prey was exhausted. Humans get +2 con, resistance to Exhaustion effects.
-Humans are the ONLY primate that can throw at a distance with accuracy? Humans get some bonus for THROWN attacks. (Double proficiency? Advantage? Double Range?)

Add in some cultures to take the place of sub-races and suddenly we have a race that's interesting and worth playing IMO.

+1 to everything and a bonus skill, or +1 to 2 things and a feat? Boring. (Note: not WEAK mind you, just not INTERESTING)

Remove ads