D&D General Why do you play non-human races?

Kurotowa

Legend
One part is having been raised on a heavy diet of science fiction so that "imagine a character with an alien perspective from a human" comes naturally. One part is, I'll be honest, picking the racial game mechanics package that supports the class I want to play that campaign.

Really though, I myself am a non-violent introvert who takes forever to make decisions. Is role playing an elf or a woman really more of a stretch than role playing a decisive and charismatic leader or a ruthlessly pragmatic mercenary?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Uh, because playing humans all the time would get boring. Also, they're neat and you get to be something different from your\self and try to look at things from a different perspective. And it's fun.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Because why not, I suppose. I play this game because I can become, and really, truly embody an Elfin Maiden for a few hours.

Often, the reason for playing a non-human character is, for me, a combination of mechanics and flavor.

MGibster

Legend
One part is having been raised on a heavy diet of science fiction so that "imagine a character with an alien perspective from a human" comes naturally. One part is, I'll be honest, picking the racial game mechanics package that supports the class I want to play that campaign.

From a human standpoint, which of the playable races in D&D has an alien perspective? And how is this reflected in game play?

I don't play other races because as already noted, they're just cosmetic changes. I'm more interested in running a Human with a good backstory.

I've very rarely seen a player represent a race other than human very well for the long haul. There have been a couple exceptions, but overall it's a pointless addition to the game,

Kurotowa

Legend
From a human standpoint, which of the playable races in D&D has an alien perspective? And how is this reflected in game play?

Well, most of the PHB races aren't that alien. As people have pointed out, they're not much stranger than your average Star Trek aliens are. If you want to play up that angle and make your game play reflect it, though, fluff books like MToF will try to delve deeper into the cultural and psychological differences. Then for the really inhuman options you've got to go to lizardfolk and other more monstrous Volo's Guide offerings.

Having the "No, you're not just a human with a few special tricks" show up and matter is a mix of both player investment and campaign style. If you're just dungeon crawling it doesn't come up a lot, and some people don't actually want to explore the different emotional spectrum a half-orc experiences they just want to be strong and tough looking.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I don't play other races because as already noted, they're just cosmetic changes. I'm more interested in running a Human with a good backstory.

I've very rarely seen a player represent a race other than human very well for the long haul. There have been a couple exceptions, but overall it's a pointless addition to the game,
Interesting perspective. Out of curiosity, would someone be allowed to play a non-human race in your campaign, or do you restrict race choice to human in most campaigns?

In my campaigns, at least, the 'race' of your character is not solely cosmetic, but carries cultural implications as well.

Interesting perspective. Out of curiosity, would someone be allowed to play a non-human race in your campaign, or do you restrict race choice to human in most campaigns?

In my campaigns, at least, the 'race' of your character is not solely cosmetic, but carries cultural implications as well.

I allow non-Humans in fantasy settings. A couple of my players like them, but most just run Humans. I make sure my settings have racial implications, good and bad, for your racial choice, but very seldom do I see a player bother with roleplaying his race after a couple sessions.

I would much rather see a developed character. Pointy ears or a height restriction isn't something that translates well in a non-visual game.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The most obvious answer is that a sentient creature with a lifespan many times that of a human- like dwarves and elves- will have a radically different perspective on long term vs short term planning of all kinds, including weighing the necessity of acting now or later....or at all.

Races that consider other sentient beings to be edible will have different interactions within the party and with NPCs than will PCs that don’t.

How differences in races will manifest in game play depends on the gamers in question.

Remove ads