• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you play RPGs?

Haltherrion

First Post
We're all fat and dazed from Thanksgiving (those of us in the U.S. anyway). It's a time for hazy reflections. When you let your mind wander to the realm of RPGs and images start popping into your head, what do you see? Why do you like RPGs?

If you do fantasy RPGs, is it the chance to talk to a dragon, rescue a damsel, carve an empire, see strange lands, bash heads open that appeals? If you do science fiction settings, is it the chance to play with neat high tech stuff, travel the galaxy, see truly strange aliens?

Viscerally, at the gut level, what do you seek when you think of gaming, whatever the genre?

Last edited:

john112364

First Post
I prefer fantasy as my RPG of choice. It is just the total disconnect from the real world. I don't like grim and gritty games. I like high fantasy so that I can see and do things that would never happen in the real world. I get enough reality in my everyday life. :p

Croesus

Adventurer
Viscerally, at the gut level, what do you seek when you think of gaming, whatever the genre?

Challenges.

I'm mostly a strategy gamer. Whether playing a board game, card game, or RPG, I'll try to identify the goal, the obstacles, my (our) resources, and then figure out a way to reach the goal. The nice thing about RPG's is that you can "change the conditions of the test", since the characters/players have a lot of influence in how the campaign turns out.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Overall, escape from reality. I don't drink or do drugs, or the like, so this is an excellent way to get away from it all

This is another reason my gmaes tend to be rather casual, and in and out of character mixed.

As others have mentioned, it is also a reason I don't get too realistic. I live in realistic all week. Don't need it in my game.

Edgewood

First Post
You know, when I was kid I had a huge collection of Star Wars action figures, and toys. Me and my friends would spend hours playing with them, pretending we were Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Darth Vader. It was fun because it allowed us to use our imagination. We would explore, laugh, fight , and have a great time, all the while pretending to be someone else.

When I grew up a bit and learned what RPGs were about (I think I was 13 years old at the time), I again found myself getting together with my friends, pretending to be the hero fighter saving the princess or the brave wizard battling the dragon, and again, because I was engaging my imagination and having fun with my friends.

Now that I'm all grown up with kids and, my imagination gets to visit far slung worlds and realms that me as a kid could never imagine. My imagination has grown along with me as a result and will continue to do so.

That's why I play RPGs.

Huh...400th post. Only took 6.5 years. Here's to post 800 in 2016!!

Last edited:

ak47

First Post
well i play for a few reasons ad a couple def styles

well where to start.
first i am currently a high functioning mentally ill person (this wasn't always the case in my youth to early adult hold i wasn't. but through massive thearipy and many meds through the years i am what u see.)
when i was a kid i didn't have any friends but 2 in middle school for first 2 years one named lance other mike. lance was a techie and did stuff through computers. mike was the gamer he didn't play dnd and such but had a extensive video game collection. he started me on rpgs on them (this is where i got hocked on final fantasy), lance did pc's on me. in 2nd year something happened between me and them i wont bore u with details but friend ship was over. i went back and secluded my self in the video games. placing myself in them as i play. during the years after a gaming shop opened up by me called realms of fantasy. this is where i got hocked on dnd. the people i played with where kind sense i wasn't near as functional the as i am now.. after shop closed after a few years end of 2nd edd time i stopped playing. when i turned about 22 i was still a anti social stay in home play video games by me self person i was part of a agency called css. it was for people with disabilities, after that i meat a guy name Julius he didn't play any kind of dnd or video games but he showed me to go out and trust people again this is when i rejoined the dnd scene. he died about 2 years latter (again wont go into boring detail) after a year later 25 after many therapy and meds here i am as u see me now. so such a lack of childhood and only had that stuff that's whats makes me play a chance to be what i wished to be as a kid and hell its fun too.
as for style of dnd and such
i was just a hard core fantasy guy sorcerers wizards knights dragons magic and such. (which i will never fully leave my fav class i always play sorcerer is only in that style)
but now i learn very much to gothica fantasy too (aka have technology based and with magic best examples of this video game wise is a lot squareenix final fantasy and also all of phantasy star series)

well u wanted some reasons why people play with there style there u go i could go way deeper in way but i doubt u want anymore u get the gest.

DumbPaladin

First Post
I enjoy bringing a character to life, especially one who's nothing like me. There's a degree of acting involved in roleplaying, and that can be very fun.

I love the social aspect of a gaming group. A bunch of people, in the same room, working towards the same goals, having fun, and having their characters interact with each other ... good times. Even better when there's no problem players in a group, which I can say about our group at present.

I enjoy fantasy novels, so the idea of helping to essentially create one without having to write it myself is pretty neat, too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads