D&D 5E Why does WotC put obviously bad or illogical elements in their adventures?

So wondering why the products aren't better is not an acceptable position? I should be ashamed to ask that question this far into the 5e lifecycle?

'Hit me baby one more time!" ;)
You continue to fail to see my points. "Better" is subjective. Questioning the quality of a product is an acceptable position. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. Myself and others have simple said with do not agree with your subjective evaluation.

Stubbornly failing to accept that your view of the issue is a subjective qualitative evaluation is ... I don't know. What ever it is, it's frustrating trying to have a discussion with someone like that.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You continue to fail to see my points. "Better" is subjective. Questioning the quality of a product is an acceptable position. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. Myself and others have simple said with do not agree with your subjective evaluation.

Stubbornly failing to accept that your view of the issue is a subjective qualitative evaluation is ... I don't know. What ever it is, it's frustrating trying to have a discussion with someone like that.

I'd call it criticism - it's done all the time with music, movies, books etc. I'm just applying it to D&D adventures. It's not that unusual. :) but sure, if you think they're perfectly fine then I doubt you'll find much to engage with.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Why do you accept mediocrity?
So far I've found the WotC published adventures lively and entertaining. I like the approach of extending the broader world through the adventure book content. There are certainly things that with hindsight (and more effort) could be refined, and elements I would (and do) outright cut and replace. The published adventures especially good value when you are using them on a virtual tabletop like Fantasy Grounds. I will buy further such content and I absolutely would not do that if what I already had was mediocre.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Because it's a complete non issue for some of us? Your "mediocrity" is another persons fantastic hook.
An adventure that makes sense can have fantastic hooks as well, so it seems odd to defend weirdness because it accidentally works for some rather than tight writing that works for everyone. I mean, tight writing is a solution so you can't pretend it doesn't exist, right?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'd call it criticism - it's done all the time with music, movies, books etc. I'm just applying it to D&D adventures. It's not that unusual. :) but sure, if you think they're perfectly fine then I doubt you'll find much to engage with.
Yes. I don't buy the current adventures largely because their too expensive for the quality. If I knew they were fully done and well written, I'd gladly drop twice the price for 6-8 months of quality, low work gaming. It'd be a bargain.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

I think we stray into a more objective realm when discussing the intentional silly that makes it into these games. Getting a ride from a crazy cloud giant wizard flying in a tower that looks like a silly wizard hat (who wears those?) who seems to exist only to the the adventurers into the plotline from the hastily tacked on rush to 5th level that is Chapter 1 is verging on objectively silly and bad. Well, it is objectively silly, bad is more subjective as many seem to like silly. It does clunk hard, though.

Remove ads