• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why does WotC put obviously bad or illogical elements in their adventures?

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm Giant Navy Seal
Changes Dex to 18 (+4) Int to 18 (+4)
At will spells 3/day fireball,
Multiattack 3x
Lightning Strike Recharge 4-6
Damage Vulnerabilities Tattoo parlor and pole dancers.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I agree with the OP. WOTC having dumb hill giants guard a VIP would be like have Barney Fife guard the President. Its a bad idea that while may be good for a few laughs just wrecks immersion unless you are playing a slapstick kind of game.

Since there's a pretty easy entrance to the throne room from the sinkhole AND there are bigger, badder guards out in the next-most immediate chamber, I'm thinking that guarding the lives of Serissa and Uthor isn't really their primary responsibility. They're doormen. Plain and simple. They aren't the Secret Service or SEALs, nor are they intended to be. They're Carlton the Doorman. If only they had an intercomm and were voiced by Lorenzo Music...

Since there's a pretty easy entrance to the throne room from the sinkhole AND there are bigger, badder guards out in the next-most immediate chamber, I'm thinking that guarding the lives of Serissa and Uthor isn't really their primary responsibility. They're doormen. Plain and simple. They aren't the Secret Service or SEALs, nor are they intended to be. They're Carlton the Doorman. If only they had an intercomm and were voiced by Lorenzo Music...

Awesome! Yeah, the place is an unreachable underwater lair. Why do you need guards at all?

Wargaming (historical) is arguably mostly logical and consistent within very narrow limits. As soon as they tacked on magic and/or the vagaries of trying play individual characters you are in a no persons land of weird and wonderful "logic" and barely tenable "consistency".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost Soul

First Post

Yep, I am sure you would hire Laurel & Hardy for your guards too. Hill Giants wouldn't be allowed to be guards for VIP. Just like how you don't post raw recruits as right outside the ambassador's door. They may not be Navy Seals but they are Marines which are a paygrade above Army privates. Not asking for Seal team six. Asking for basic competency from an enemy.

Hussar

Legend
Yep, I am sure you would hire Laurel & Hardy for your guards too. Hill Giants wouldn't be allowed to be guards for VIP. Just like how you don't post raw recruits as right outside the ambassador's door. They may not be Navy Seals but they are Marines which are a paygrade above Army privates. Not asking for Seal team six. Asking for basic competency from an enemy.

I'd point out that you are being very, very anachronistic here. The idea that you have special service guards for dignitaries is a 20th century construction. How many Special Service Crack Ace Bodyguards did Lincoln have?

Or Ferdinand?

Or Caesar?

And, really, in Giant society, a giant king that can't handle a threat wouldn't be king for long.

And lastly, how is a hill giant NOT a basic competency in a guard. Good grief, two hill giants can handle a LOT of punishment. There aren't a lot of things that could quietly kill two of them fast enough to get past them and threaten anyone.

Which is the entire point of guards.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I'd point out that you are being very, very anachronistic here. The idea that you have special service guards for dignitaries is a 20th century construction. How many Special Service Crack Ace Bodyguards did Lincoln have?

Or Ferdinand?

Or Caesar?

Hussar were these examples of people with Hill Giant guards or without Hill Giant guards?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
These are examples of people who didn't have special forces elite guards.

:D

Ultimately, nobody thinks they're necessary (or worth the expense) until they become necessary. And then god help you if they turn on you (Praetorian Guard vs Caligula, anyone?).
The reason our president is guarded by the elite group he's guarded by is because there was a stretch of time in which the presidential casualty count was shockingly high. And even then it took decades to develop.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Ultimately, nobody thinks they're necessary (or worth the expense) until they become necessary. And then god help you if they turn on you (Praetorian Guard vs Caligula, anyone?).
The reason our president is guarded by the elite group he's guarded by is because there was a stretch of time in which the presidential casualty count was shockingly high. And even then it took decades to develop.

And with the Queen dead and the King missing now's a good time for amateur hour when guarding the ruling princess? These encounters are not happening in a vacuum.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Why does any game company put out bad or illogical material? Because people still buy it and checking, correcting, and editing cost money.

Also, there are bad and illogical people who like the bad and illogical material. You see them playing the apologist sometimes on various forums: "Yes it's perfectly sensible for the dungeon to be in orbit. In a fantasy setting. When no flight or 'port means exist. I read something like this in the Darkover books, and Ringworld too!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads