D&D 5E Why doesn't D&D have its own Showcase video like MtG does?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Usually the D&D live streams and D&D Celebration streams don't reveal the whole product line for the whole upcoming year, usually 1 or 2 books at most.
Right, because that's all that they have nailed down, and the marketing and wholesale environment for books is diffefrom collectible card games.

They probably don't know what's coming out in November 2022, so they can't announce it. Unlike Magic, which already has the cards together for their Q4 product.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They've done a lot of that. The Stream of Many Eyes happenned every year (I think) before the pandemic hit.....
They still had D&D Live in 2020 and 2021, just more social distanced. That's where they announced Icewind Dale & Tasha's in 2020, and Witchlight, Fizban's & Strixhaven in 2021.

Bolares

Hero
Right, because that's all that they have nailed down, and the marketing and wholesale environment for books is diffefrom collectible card games.

They probably don't know what's coming out in November 2022, so they can't announce it. Unlike Magic, which already has the cards together for their Q4 product.
Yeah. DnD books take a lot less time to make so the schedule will be a lot shorter too.

Yeah. DnD books take a lot less time to make so the schedule will be a lot shorter too.

I think it's long enough for at least biyearly announcements for what's coming over the next 6 months.

Anyways given the Domains of Delight are supposed to get a dmsguild guide, I'm not as certain it's one of the new settings, intact it seems more like it was originally intended to be a new setting book, but they converted it into an adventure, but didn't want the how to make your own Domain of Delight chapter that the book didn't need now to go to waste, so they turned it into a PDF. I think as far as AL will be concerned the Domains of Delight will count as a part of the Forgotten Realms, even though it has more in common with Ravenloft.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it's long enough for at least biyearly announcements for what's coming over the next 6 months.

Anyways given the Domains of Delight are supposed to get a dmsguild guide, I'm not as certain it's one of the new settings, intact it seems more like it was originally intended to be a new setting book, but they converted it into an adventure, but didn't want the how to make your own Domain of Delight chapter that the book didn't need now to go to waste, so they turned it into a PDF. I think as far as AL will be concerned the Domains of Delight will count as a part of the Forgotten Realms, even though it has more in common with Ravenloft.
DO keep in mind that WotC is not afraid to do new things, even if we can find precedents. Here's a hypothesis: in the course of making this adventure, which has apparently been ruminating in his head since 4E, Perkins found that he had the germ of maybe a whole new Setting here, comparable to Ravenloft. Maybe the DOmains oif Dread DMsGuild product, whatever that looks like, is to a potential future project what the DMsGuild Eberron product was to the eventual Eberron Setting book: a proof of concept and playtest. IF this Adventure is received well, and the DMsGuild product gets good feedback, then maybe they will proceed with a whole new Setting, which is what Winninger was hinting at.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Yhr overall point remains, D&D has a shorter development timeline and is more fluid and open to change up to a closer point than Magic products, so "here is the D&D 2022 lineup, guarenteed" is not feasible in the same way.

This is pretty much the answer right here. D&D Live is the closest thing it will get to a showcase, as I believe they only decide on the definitive releases about 9 months in advance.

It's pretty clear that the D&D team does have a lot of pre-plans in reserve, as apparently Witchlight was first being planned way back during Xanathar's development. But as explained in the blog posts, they always have several book concepts competing for release slots. So they only decide what is moving fully into production at a pretty late stage.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is pretty much the answer right here. D&D Live is the closest thing it will get to a showcase, as I believe they only decide on the definitive releases about 9 months in advance.

It's pretty clear that the D&D team does have a lot of pre-plans in reserve, as apparently Witchlight was first being planned way back during Xanathar's development. But as explained in the blog posts, they always have several book concepts competing for release slots. So they only decide what is moving fully into production at a pretty late stage.
Same with Icewind Dale, reading and listening to interviews it seems that it was scrapped at some point and then revived when they had a new approach, so some parts were written years previously.

Bolares

Hero
It's also worth pointing that the MTG announcement video, is a new thing. They've announced schedule before of course, but in this particular format, it's a pretty new thing.

Remove ads