• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Doesn't LA figure into CR?

BralRocker

First Post
This is a D&D 3.5 question.

Why doesn't Level Adjustment figure into calculated Challenge Rating?

For example I'm looking at the Giff as presented in Dragon #339 and this quality rendition of the classic race gives the bipedal hippopotamus two racal HD and a LA of +3.

That's great but when the sidebar discusses NPC Giffs it describes those that have, say, 4 level of a fighter and thus a CR of 6. Shouldn't the CR be a little higher considering the sizable LA of +3?

Dandu

First Post
LA is an imperfect way of compensating for a race's innate powers and would not factor into CR in a linear fasion.

BralRocker

First Post
LA is an imperfect way of compensating for a race's innate powers and would not factor into CR in a linear fasion.

That does make sense.

Having heard that maybe it would be a good idea to up lower CRs by +1 CR per +2 LA and for higher CRs +1 CR per +3 LA.

Alexander123

First Post
By the way I would note the inconsistency of the concept of level adjustments.

If a race has innate advantages, this should only help, not hinder its advancement and mastery of classes.

Belisarius

First Post
Cr != la

LA is a measure of how powerful a creature is as a low-level PC over a typical adventuring day.

CR is a measure of how powerful a creature is as an antagonist that will survive only a few rounds.

I read a really good explanation somewhere once, but basically:

Invisibility 1/day = +1 CR, +1 LA

Invisibility at-will = +1 CR, +5 LA

A monster is likely to be dead in four rounds, so it doesn't matter if his ability is 1/day or at-will (+1 CR either way). He's only going to get to use it once.

A PC is likely to appear in almost every encounter, so it makes a huge difference if his ability is 1/day or at-will. +1 LA for 1/day, +5 for at-will.

So CR != LA, and there is no real way to convert them.

irdeggman

First Post
By the way I would note the inconsistency of the concept of level adjustments.

If a race has innate advantages, this should only help, not hinder its advancement and mastery of classes.

ECL was designed to give parity for PCs.

That is so that no 1 player could have a character that was vastly more powerful than another of the same "level".

ECL = Hit Dice + LA

As is everything in D&D it is an approximation and not everything is as it works out mechanically.

Specifically CR is adjustable based on the encounter (situation) and a CR of a specific creature should be "eyeballed" by the DM as the acid test.

Remove ads