D&D 5E Why ever play a cleric?

mellored

Legend
Conjure Celestial looks bad on paper until you actually look at what a CR 4 Couatl's stats are. Then yum. Polymorph, constriction, non-magical weapon immunity, high AC, built-in Shield spell, free Greater Restorations, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head. All for one hour with concentration, out of a 7th level spell slot.

Conjure Fey may only be 6th level, but Conjure Celestial completely outclasses it, judging by MM monsters.
you can summon 8 pixies with Conjure fey. Which have polymorph and flight.

MacMind

First Post
Over the past week or so, I have been creating a light cleric which will begin play next week. He is a Dwarven pyromaniac who worships Kossuth. It's been so much fun creating it, and I really look forward to playing him and exploiting his traits and weaknesses (namely: Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my own fireworks, that I want to create ever bigger fires and I am not always careful where I lay them down).

Now, when thinking about classes, I considered a mage or a sorcerer for different options, but the fact that most of the fire-based spells he has access to are domain spells and are available at all times made the real difference. If I chose to play a sorc, a focus on fire spells would be severely limiting due to the already limited spell selection available. Similarly, a wizard is in the same boat, but not quite as extreme as the problems a sorc would have being fire focussed. Against creatures who are immune to fire, a light cleric would be able to vary his spells widely, conjure creatures to contribute to the party, or heal / buff. These are the reasons why I've chosen a light cleric over other fire blasting classes. I've even made a few adaptions to the concept such as his healing spells giving brief pain as holy flame cauterises wounds and "healing 'flaming' word" has an instantaneous illusionary immolation effect, but these of course are only for flavour.

On the mechanics side, access to spells like wall of fire, scorching ray, and fireball make the class look like an absolute scorcher! Yet there is real diversity available in the full gamut of spells he can select at will. This is opposed to a wizard I play where he is very limited in spell selection as the DM does not give out scrolls easily. I would have liked to home-brew a cleric class focused more on fire than radiant damage, but the DM wouldn't allow it :(

Last edited:

thedutchwonder

Villager
I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, I just simply cant wrap my head around why someone would play Dungeons & Dragons other than for dungeon crawling. I understand hitpoints provide ablative defense that gets worn away over time, but why choose Dungeon & Dragons over another game that functions the same way, just better?

If you want fast combat resolution, go Savage Worlds.
If you want gritty realism, why use reduced healing rates over, say, GURPS.
If you want strong story, why not just go FATE?

I look forward to being enlightened and perhaps converted to actually trying Dungeons & Dragons one of these days.
because unlike playing three other games (savage worlds, gurps, and fate) dnd is wrapped in one. youre comparing apple to oranges, you can take all your point (fighting, gretty realism, and story) and put them into one game. however to his question theres no way one cleric can be all three so why choose cleric? playing DND BECAUSE ITS AWESOME

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
All the cleric spells tend to be slightly weaker versions. Sacred flame for instance does d8, while Firebolt and Eldritch blast do d10. Conjure celestial is higher level then Conjure fey. Flame strike has a smaller radius. Etc.
Hello you, from before the pandemic times. I know this was posted 10 000 years ago.

I think this is... incorrect. Ever cast spiritual guardian? Guidance? Nothing weak there.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, I just simply cant wrap my head around why someone would play a cleric other than filling the healing role in a party. I understand domains help them specialize and give them interesting options, but why choose a cleric with a certain domain over a class that functions the same way, just better?

If you want to be a capable warrior with divine magic, go paladin.
If you want to be a capable caster, why go light domain cleric over, say, warlock/sorcerer/wizard?
If you want to be a gish, like tempest or war domain clerics, why not just go eldritch knight?

I look forward to being enlightened and perhaps converted to actually trying a cleric one of these days.
In my opinion, a Cleric makes a superior damage-dealer than a warlock, sorcerer and wizard.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Looks like there's thread-necromancy afoot...

I like to play clerics in campaigns that focus on the relationship between gods and mortals...like a game world that takes its cues from Greek, Egyptian, or Norse mythology. In campaigns where the gods are real and close, and nearly every major plot arc involves making one god happy or another angry, I'll choose cleric all day long.

But in a world where the gods are distant and uninterested in the affairs of mortals, I think clerics feel a bit flat and unnecessary. I'd be more likely to play a warlock in that campaign.

Remove ads