• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Why Exploration Is the Worst Pillar

Dausuul

Legend
Nobody reads the DMG.
One of my mantras as a software developer is "Nobody reads anything."

It isn't literally true, but it's not far off. Most people--and this includes most very smart people, it isn't about intelligence, nor laziness--read the absolute minimum to get on with whatever it is they're trying to do.

The PHB was written with this tendency in mind. The DMG was... not.

Undrave

Legend
As for the ranger abilities, that only applies to the ranger's favored terrain, 3 out of 8 at most. Outside of this terrain, they still have the issue of difficult terrain and can get lost. Further, even when in favored terrain, the ranger still needs to navigate so that they don't get lost, which means the ranger can't do some other task while traveling other than keep watch for danger - can't track, map, or forage. So in my forest/swamp hexcrawl, the ranger in the group has Swamp favored terrain. It's great when they're in the swamp, but not great when they are in the forest. And even when in the swamp, if they prioritize not getting lost, someone else has to track, map, or forage.

I'm not sure what you mean by the thief ability you reference.
There's also a feat that makes it so you ALWAYS know where North is...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Heh, I guess it depends on your character concept, though the bonus to Perception is pretty tempting. They're both pretty low on the totem pole of desirable Feats...
Huh. I've heard the Observant feat described as "arguably overpowered" by the folks over at Critical Role.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
One could always grab a copy of either of these and basically use anything from them in their game to add to their "exploration pillar."

Attachments

• 1ewildernesssurvivalguide.jpg
    1ewildernesssurvivalguide.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 1edungeoneersurvivalguide.jpg
    1edungeoneersurvivalguide.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 63

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't know about "the worst pillar," but Exploration is certainly my favorite pillar of D&D. I'm all about secret doors, traps, investigation checks, and murder mysteries. I put in XP awards for finding certain clues, for disabling certain traps, and for tracking down certain things, and if things start getting slow, I add all sorts of backstory and details for even the most mundane things.

Another boring +1 rapier you found in that cave? Oh no no, that won't do. That there is Redbeard's Razor, a cutlass that belonged to one of the most infamous pirates of the last three centuries! His last treasure was never found, but there might be a clue to its whereabouts carved into the sword's ivory handle...does anyone know how to read Triton?

We eat that stuff up at our table.
I have to ask though...is Redbeard's Razor still a +1 rapier in game?

Remove ads