• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why Has D&D, and 5e in Particular, Gone Down the Road of Ubiquitous Magic?

I don't really see why people in a D&D type world would be generally suspicious/fearful of magic anyway... or at least the way it tends to be portrayed. People would be fearful of destructive magic, but not of healing or utility magic, the way we feel about technology.

I'd expect at least as many cultures to see magic as a sign of spiritual advancement / enlightenment / a higher state of being as see it as generally bad... quite possibly more.

It makes sense in Dark Sun since magic tends to have bad side effects and the superpowerful rulers suppress the stuff that doesn't... but otherwise, not really.

RotGrub

First Post
I'll jump in on this tangent.

My fighter in our Dragonlance campaign is probably the one who eats the most damage. Heck, I took the Toughness feat specifically because I WAS eating so much damage.

But, then, my fighter is the front line brick. His reason for being there is soaking up the damage and freeing up the other characters. So, am I recklessly eating up damage and showboating? Or am I contributing to the overall success of the game?

And in either case, who the hell is another player at the table to judge that?

That's the problem, it's a "player" and not the "character" who has such a negative opinion about your character.

One of the most offensive things a player can do is berate other players at the table for not conforming to MMO styled tactics.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
One of the most offensive things a player can do is berate other players at the table for not conforming to MMO styled tactics.
It's almost as bad as denigrating other players' styles as "MMO styled tactics," as if that made them 'not real roleplayers.'

I don't really see why people in a D&D type world would be generally suspicious/fearful of magic anyway... or at least the way it tends to be portrayed. People would be fearful of destructive magic, but not of healing or utility magic, the way we feel about technology.
IRL, some people are deathly afraid of hospitals and dentists... or of (flying in) airplanes... and, of course, of guns. Anything that's beyond your control/understanding can be fearsome. Magic, however benevolent, could qualify.

I'd expect at least as many cultures to see magic as a sign of spiritual advancement / enlightenment / a higher state of being as see it as generally bad... quite possibly more.
A rage of attitudes would be realistic. If we continue the apt modern technology metaphor, there are people who are enthusiastic early adopters who all but revere scientists, engineers and other 'experts,' but there are also Luddites who are suspicious of them, rejecting technology out of hand.

Last edited:

fromthe1980s

First Post
I didn't read all 60 pages in this thread, but I do not like Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. I don't think every class should have magic ability. I'm old school when you just had magic-users, clerics, and elves. I would like no-magic paladins, rangers, and bards.

I do like the 5e cantrips, since true magic-type classes ought to have at-will minor tricks, IMO. I could see damping down some of the damage cantrips. That wouldn't hurt my feelings.

RotGrub

First Post
Players who emphasize teamwork to overcome tactical challenges in a cooperative game that devotes a large share of it's rules to resolving combat? Or those who denigrate them for it?

I avoid players who bring/enforce MMO play style concepts into the game. I'm not interested in hearing a character being called a Tank or DPS toon. I also don't want arguments over it at my table. I think they should remain in character and just shut it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads