• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why I like to roll stats in order

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm of two minds. I had a great decade playing AD&D 2ed where the rule was you roled up 3 sets of stats in order and played one of them. I loved how organic it was. Had a bard with an 18 Con (back then non-fighter-subclasses stopped getting extra HPs at +2) - ended up being the guy who'd drink people under the table.

On the other hand, I love the faustian bargain of ASI *OR* feat, and find rolled stats give too much variation between characters that some need those ASI while others give up nothing to get feats because they rolled well.

So I really like in order, but 5e isn't the system I'd do that with.

Roll AND balance!

http://aramis.hostman.us/dnd/RedrickRoller.html

Xeviat

Hero
I'm going to do one shots with roll in order, but normally I don't like rolled stats. I've been thinking about trying rolled stats and rewarding players who end up with low stats with feats to make up the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTurbo

Explorer
I love this idea. I love it so much I'm going to make a character right now at random.

Str- 13
Dex - 15 +2
Con - 12
Int - 10 +1
Wis - 13
Cha - 13

Randomly rolled Pack of the Tome Warlock(Fiend) and Feral Tiefling.

With only a +1 to Cha, he would not be very good at Warlocking at low levels, but with a decent Dex, I think this character would be viable. Fun stuff.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm going to do one shots with roll in order, but normally I don't like rolled stats. I've been thinking about trying rolled stats and rewarding players who end up with low stats with feats to make up the difference.
That's a cute idea. Of course, to be fair, they should be randomly rolled feats.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
My favorite chargen system is LBB Traveller, which is almost entirely random. IIRC you pick a class, but you need a roll to successfully enter it, and when you're done you can choose to do some more chargen (and maybe die) or call it done.

You end up with a set of skills, possessions, and characteristics which can sometimes seem very disparate. I figure out what my PC's like by asking myself, "what type of person would all of this describe?" and I wind up with things I never would have come up with on my own. It's awesome.

Geoarrge

Explorer
I always preferred the semi-ordered method mentioned in 3E: Roll the stats in order, re-roll one and swap two. You get enough adjustments to play the class you wanted, but not enough to optimize for a particular pre-conceived build.

Remove ads