• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I WON'T boycott WotC

Thurbane

First Post
I was seriously considering picking up Demonweb Pits for my group in the next week or so. For now, I think I'll be sticking with my homebrew adventures.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I won't quite boycott WotC, but this will influence my buying behaviour. I'll buy less books, will probably skip on all their adventures (in favour of pathfinder), and if they want me to give them money for their online thing, they'll have to provide stellar content practically for a song. Since they have a horrible track record with electronic game aids and, with this stunt here, have shown that they are perfectly capable of truly horrible actions, I feel I can't trust them with anything I would have to keep paying for (if I buy one of their minis or books, I got that mini/book. They can't demand it back or come over and paint the pages black. But they could pull the plug on their online thing at any time and then you'd probably be there with nothing to show for it!)

I'll also severely reduce the number of miniatures I'll buy (that was what I spent most money on recently, anyway.). I'll go from buying three whole cases to 2 at most. Maybe I'll skip cases as a whole and get whole sets off ebay (with spare common and uncommon sets to shore up the numbers where needed) or something like that. And who knows If I won't abandon the Wizards minis completely after Reaper's plastic minis are out?

Imaro

Legend
Not sure if I will totally boycott WotC, but I know I won't be buying any adventures from them. That is what my Dungeon fix was for and so far nothing out of WotC on a price vs. quantity/quality scale compares to my value with Dungeon.

The funny thing is I went into my FLGS yesterday, and thought about grabbing Tome of Battle or Demonweb. This move however has left a bad taste in my mouth and in the end I bought the Blessed Isle book for Exalted and Sanctum and Sigil for Mage.

I had already decided not too purchase anymore mini's since I want to support both Reaper and Rackham when their lines come out...so I guess maybe I might get some Dungeon Tiles but other than that nothing coming out of WotC is really interesting me.

Before I might have bought a Dungeon or Dragon on impulse to read on the way home from work, $8-$9 for 3 to 4 adventures, in full color was worth it, even if I only used 1 or 2, but $16 to $20 for one adventure, in Black and white is much less appealing as an impulse buy.

Rothe

First Post
Quite the oppostie. I might actually increase purchases (from near $0) and subscribe to the on-line content even though I have no intention of running a 3.x game.

Had stopped subscribing to the Dragon in the early 80's when it became pretty much 100% D&D. Now even if the on-line content is 100% D&D it's easier to store and use that which I like. It's nice to hold a magazine but pratical reality is with a lap-top and pretty much wireless connections whever I go, an on-line magazine I could access any time, from any where is great.

I'll have to add Pyramid onto the list, always loved SJ's game philosophy even though I'm not a fan of GURPS.

Agamon

Adventurer
Boycott's the wrong word for me. I won't outright dismiss a WotC product because it's WotC. But I will be looking at spending my money on 3rd party products first, and if there's any money left over, I might check out what WotC is doing.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
No boycott from me either - although temporary restraint on buying WotC products is in the offing. If WotC experiences a dip in sales because customers are annoyed, c'est la vie, maybe they'll learn a lesson from it. I find I'm pretty much saturated anyways - aside from some material that would make a DM's life easier, I don't see much new for D&D that I want. The Star Wars Saga Edition may grab me - but I'll wait for the reviews ;)

senodam

First Post
I won't be boycotting WoTC, but that's primarily because I stopped buying their stuff about 6 months ago. The last Wizards book I bought was Magic of Incarnum- and nothing else they put out in the past year or so appeals to me whatsoever. (Espcecially not the rackin' frackin' random minis)

I had a vague interest in Drow of the Underdark and Expedition to Undermountain, but given the quality of their previous adventures and the distaste my players have for Drow I'm not interested in laying down the cash for them. Especially when it could go on cool looking stuff like Pathfinder, or older products like Tome of Horrors II, Creature Collection: Revised and the Advanced Bestiary which I still haven't got.

So, no boycott- but I'm still not buying from them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads