• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I'm done with 4e

Phaezen

Adventurer
I don't want to get into an edition discussion, but I want to say this. Last weekend I was at our local shop and three different D&D games were going on that afternoon. One was a 4E group of high schoolers/early college kids, the other two were adult groups playing 3.5 (one appeared to be transition to PF.) All of these people were having fun, and I think that is what D&D really is. Whatever gets you and your buddies sitting at a table, killing orcs and taking their stuff is D&D, regardless of what rules you are using to do it.

This really, at the end of the day no matter which edition you play they all contain the phrase: "The orcs notice you, roll for initiative"

edition wars aside, since this _is_ technically endorsing pathfinder, should it not then be moved to the pathfinder board?
Well, I am not a mod, but I don't think so. "Endorsing" Pathfinder is not the primary purpopse.

avin said:
How I wish I could play one different edition per week ... =/
Hehe. I first read something like: "How I wish I could fight in a different edition war per week..." ;)

Obryn

Hero
Play the games you enjoy!

No need to have anyone here affirm your preferences. :) Not every game is for every player. Find the game that suits you, not the other way around. I'm happily running 4e for my dungeon-bashy D&D game, and Call of Cthulhu for my roleplay-heavy rules-light game. It works out well!!

-O

Mallus

Legend
First off, cool. I hope you find the right tool to build your next campaign with. Now with that out of the way...

* The rules are in the background. The rules are not constantly superimposing themselves on my in-game experience. Example: 4e marking.
You didn't feel that all the bookkeeping required by mid-to-high level 3.5e was intrusive? I sure did, then again, I was running a campaign that ended up with 4 full-progression spellcasters. We couldn't avoid a lot rules talk during heated battles.

* High level of player creativity in character design.
Have you tried Mutants and Masterminds 2e for a fantasy campaign? It's a classless point-buy d20 variant (in case you didn't know). Which means it has the most flexible character generation system of any d20 game. Any character you can make using 3.5e/Pathfinder can be made using M&M2e, plus a metric ton of ones that simply can't/won't work under 3.5e.

Plus, the game itself ends up being much easier to run that 3.5e.

...if my first exposure to D&D was 4e I'd probably say to myself after a few sessions, "why not play WoW instead?" IMO, Wizards forgot why people play D&D in the first place.
Heh, our 4e games are nothing like a MMORPG, they're like more like a sloppy blend of Terry Pratchett and China Mieville's novels and Quentin Tarrantino's films, only with a lot of the quality removed.

Also, another way to look at it is that Wizards rightly understood that most of the reasons people play D&D can't be found in the rule books, which explains why they provided a robust set of combat resolution tools, a loose framework for conflict resolution, and basically left the rest to the individuals playing.

For these reasons, I'm starting a pathfinder campaign.
Again, good luck, and have you considered M&M2e? There's a new source book out now for it called Warriors and Warlocks, which is full of advice/fluff for running a pulp fantasy game.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Always go with what you like. Life's too short for bad gaming. Good for you.

Now, might I suggest, if you want a system where the rules don't intrude too much, there's this thing called Savage World's Explorer's Edition. Might be right up your alley.

I know I'm loving it so far.

Mircoles

Explorer
What I get from your post is that you played 4e and didn't learn a thing about it. You likely went in to playing it wanting it to suck and making it suck by effort on your part.

Quite honestly, if person can't have fun playing 4e, there is something seriously wrong with them.

The only reason that you didn't have fun is because you were determined not to. Which seems to be the case with every "we tried it, but didn't like it" thread.

And for the record, the "roles" have always been there and aren't anything new. Which you would know if you had put any real effort in learning the game and having fun, which you obviously didn't.

Also, I don't care what you play. Play what you like. But coming online and making threads like this just incites the edition wars and is compleatly uneeded.

Admin here. Folks, this is a great example of how not to respond when someone writes something that offends you. Responding with antagonism, blanket statements, insults and the "truth" about what the other person must be thinking are all something that should be avoided. It's okay if not everyone likes the same game you do, and they may play it differently than you; that's okay as well. No one has the right to lecture people on what they should be playing.

If this is in the least bit unclear, feel free to PM me. ~ PCat

Last edited by a moderator:

Quite honestly, if person can't have fun playing 4e, there is something seriously wrong with them.

The only reason that you didn't have fun is because you were determined not to. Which seems to be the case with every "we tried it, but didn't like it" thread.

Also, I don't care what you play. Play what you like. But coming online and making threads like this just incites the edition wars and is compleatly uneeded.

Practice what you preach and the world will be a happier place.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads