Why Is Chris Perkins Tweeting Page Snippets Of Mongrelfolk?

I didn't see that either. Do mongrelfolk appear in one of the adventures they've released, or is this a possible hint of the Monster Manual 2?

I didn't see that either. Do mongrelfolk appear in one of the adventures they've released, or is this a possible hint of the Monster Manual 2?

Quickleaf

Legend
One year would be faster than 3rd edition, but slower than 4th (or 2nd edition).

2nd Edition:
- Monstrous Compendium Volume One (June 1989)
- Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (August 1989)
- Monstrous Compendium Volume Three (November 1989)
- Monstrous Compendium Volume Four (April 1990)

3rd Edition:
- Monster Manual (October 2000)
- Monster Manual II (September 2002)

4th Edition:
- Monster Manual (June 2008)
- Monster Manual 2 (May 2009)

Ack! You're right! My mistake.

Well, this gives me hope that it may in fact be from a proof copy for the MM2 then.

I mean, if they can do a ret-con of Temple of Elemental Evil in the Forgotten Realms, then I agree that it wouldn't hard to fit a Ravenloft/Ravenloft-ensue adventure into the Forgotten Realms too.

As for the MM2, while I'm eager to see that, having a proof copy already done seems WAY faster than their previous production of the MM2 historically. Even during 3e and 4e with their faster production cycles, wasn't it 2 years since the launch of the core three before they released MM2? If they have a proof copy of MM2 now, wouldn't that mean they were gunning for like a September / October release, roughly 1 year after the first MM was released? That would be FAST. And awesome :)

One of the design team said something to the effect that they had enough material left on the cutting floor after MM1 to form a good foundation for MM2. That picture could actually be something they already wrote up and had to be cut from the MM1.

(My gut tells me we probably only got about 60-65% of the monsters they had actually worked on for inclusion in the MM, and most of those other 35-40% of the monsters are either done or almost done, just waiting around on WotC hard drives...lurking...waiting...watching for an opportunity...)

Quickleaf

Legend
One of the design team said something to the effect that they had enough material left on the cutting floor after MM1 to form a good foundation for MM2. That picture could actually be something they already wrote up and had to be cut from the MM1.
Wow, that is especially impressive because didn't they add like 30+ pages to the MM? And even after doing that, they still had a bunch of monsters left over that formed a good foundation for MM2.

I'm very much looking forward to the MM2, whenever it does get released. At least we know one monster which will (probably) be going in: Mongrelfolk.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I don't really need a PH2. I never want to see another DMG2. I'm generally averse to splatbooks. I think the current pace of released adventures is fine. I'm actually quite happy with the relatively light flow of new printed materials from WotC.

But I need more monsters. Especially the non-standard stuff. Give me some Planescape monsters... Ravenloft monsters... Mystara monsters.

That's all I need. Everything else can be hand-waved, or re-used from previous editions. I don't need a new Ravenloft splatbook to tell me about Barovia, or how to roll fear checks, or to include a tarokka deck. I already have all those things. What I need is monsters.

So, if this is MM2, let it be soon. My wallet is ready.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
3rd Edition:

Well, we did have a small product in-between...
- Monsters of Faerun (February 2001) (smaller book)
- Fiend Folio (April 2003) (just before 3.5E, with hybrid stats).

Cheers!

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Well, we did have a small product in-between...
- Monsters of Faerun (February 2001) (smaller book)
Good point -- that definitely counts. Monsters of Faerûn was deliberately printed without a Forgotten Realms logo on the front so that it could be sold as a general monster book.

So a 5e Monster Manual II in September 2015 would still be the slowest release time for a second monster book for any edition since 1e.

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space
If the Shakespeare connection stands true, this could be tied to something inspired by "The Tempest" with Mongrelfolk standing in for Caliban, the deformed son of the witch, Sycorax.

Now, the play is great fodder for an adventure, though personally I'd love a new MM including the honking big list of classic critters that weren't covered in the existing Monster Manual.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads