• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is E-Tools giving me -2 to Craft & Disable Devices for my Artificer?

Denaes

First Post
2nd level human Artificer and I've got a -2 Misc Mod to Craft & Disable Devices and a +2 Misc Mod to Spellcraft.

These arn't Ability Score Modifiers and I have no clue where the penalties are comming from. It doesn't make sense to me unless I'm missing some rule somewere that I havn't known for the last 5 years of playing/running D&D & d20...

I figured the +2 might have been Synergy, but you don't get negative Synergy do you?

I honestly can't think of anything beside Racial Abilities and Ability Scores that would give you a straight up penalty to all uses (not a specific use) of a skill.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I think you need to get some tools.

srd said:
Artisan’s Tools
These special tools include the items needed to pursue any craft. Without them, you have to use improvised tools (-2 penalty on Craft checks), if you can do the job at all.

Thieves’ Tools
This kit contains the tools you need to use the Disable Device and Open Lock skills. Without these tools, you must improvise tools, and you take a -2 circumstance penalty on Disable Device and Open Locks checks.

Oddly the Craft and Open Lock skills also mention this penalty, but the Disable device skill doesn't.

Better yet, get some masterwork tools, and turn both -2 into a +2 for a total of 155 gp.

Denaes

First Post
Oh, I have those tools purchased for my character, but it must not have calculated the bonus.

Thats obnoxious to just assume you don't have tools and give you a -2 penalty without explaining where it came from.

Thanks, now I can ignore that penalty without any guilt :)

rowport

First Post
Matthew has it right. I had the same problem making a Thief as well.

If you already purchased the Tools (the Artisan Tools, not the e-Tools... heh...), make sure that you check the select box indicating that you are carrying them and have them 'enabled', otherwise the -2 penalty will remain.

Glyfair

Explorer
Denaes said:
Oh, I have those tools purchased for my character, but it must not have calculated the bonus.

Yup. It's one of etools quirks that you need them equipped. It's correct by the letter of the rules, but not practical in play. Typically I don't carry my jewelry tools with me when I'm adventuring, but if I equip them they put me into the next encumberence class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads