• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is polymorph so limited???

Elvinis75

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
I wasn't able to keep track of the number of times that polymorph changed in 3.0. It was hit with errata in the web files, in Dragon (twice, I think), in T&B, ....

As it was in 3.0, though, polymorph other was much too powerful. An instakill spell, a long-term buff, a utility spell (fly, burrow, or squeeze through small spaces!), and only at level 4! I wouldn't compalain overmuch about making it slightly weaker as T&B may have done. (Was the T&B change the one that tried to clarify Ex vs. natural abilities?)

I think that you over rate the power of this save or die function. It is a fortitude save and for the majority of foes it is their best save. This isn’t even close to the hold person willpower save that is more a true save or die at a lower level.

As a long term buff spell for others they are forced to constantly deal with the fact that they are trolls or giants and thus the DM should make them live out the bad side of that transformation. NPC reations and realistic considerations like the increased amount of food that they need … etc.

Yes the T&B said that you don't get nothin'. No EX abilities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads