Pathfinder 1E Why is the out-of-print Pathfinder Campaign Setting so expensive?

dead

Explorer
I had a search on eBay and Amazon to see if I could pick up the Pathfinder Campaign setting - thinking I could buy it cheap due to the revision coming out soon - only to find it for sale between $130 - $500 USD!

I understand the book is out-of-print, but the revision isn't too far away. About 4 months I think. Also a pdf is available if you're really desparate.

Anyway, it suprised me.

It is a recently out of print product in high demand. The price will drop in time but it is not all that odd. Look at some of the 3.5 books now ya could have gotten for pennies three years ago.

Bigkilla

First Post
Yeah, they are kind of hit and miss, a few months back they were all over ebay but now everywhere I have looked they are out of stock. you just have to keep looking for them. Its like Rise of the Runelords 1 Burnt Offerings, they go for alot of money on ebay but 1 day I checked amazon and bought 8 copies that were shrink wrapped with a copy of the ROTRL players guide in a special military appreciation pack for 15$ each.

IronWolf

blank
Yeah, I wonder how many people are actually getting those prices for them? Probably a short window to even ask that price with the revised version coming out soon. Glad I bought my copy just before this "gold rush".

baconcow

First Post
I wouldn't think that many crazy Amazon.com or .ca marketplace prices are actually being paid. Take this RPG accessory for example: [ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Changeling-Lost-Dice-Set/dp/1588465306/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1286205003&sr=8-4"]Changeling: The Lost Dice Set[/ame]. Do you think anyone will really pay $171.28 (Amazon.ca) for a new set of these dice? I quite doubt it, especially when Amazon.com has them for $51.14 (what a steal! lol). I get that they were a "nice" set retailing for $24.99. Look at Chessex, they have some nice sets for under $10. Buy 17+ sets and you're much more set than this single set.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Even in a weak economy there are people out there who believe they have more money than sense, and retailers who believe they have more value in their products that sense. The internet just gives us a great deal of power to find them and make them mutually happy with each other's insensibility.

pawsplay

Hero
Some oneline retailers automatically jack up their prices when a book becomes unavailable. Sometimes this is very effective (school textbooks) other times it's just ridiculous (limited edition dice sets no one really cares about). I think it would be rare, but perhaps not unknown, for someone to actually pay a price like that.

There are a few products I might pay up to double for if I were flush and it were just unavailable otherwise. Ex: BESM Third Edition.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yeah, kind of like I needed ToB, Bo9S for reference and ordered it last month from Amazon. The cheapest I could find it was at its original list price of $39 for what turned out to be a water damaged copy of the book. I could have ordered a brand new book, but that would have cost $100 - yeah, right, no thank you.

Funniest part when the book showed up on delivery - it was the wrong book, I received Forgotten Realms: the Unapproachable East - so when I contacted Amazon, they said 'keep it', we'll send you the right book. So while the book prices are inflated, if they make a delivery problem, they eat the price and send another book... how profitable is that?

GP

Last edited:

Remove ads