Why is/was Shadowrun more popular than Cyberpunk?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Mechanically, that is very much incorrect.

Thematically, mileage may vary, but you can do a lot of "go to location, go through hazardous encounters, get treasure" play.

In regard to the latter, its always felt the most D&D-like of any game that wasn't an obvious D&D derivative (again, not mechanically, but structurally).

Mechanically, early SR is probably closest to Storyteller of anything I can think of (and as I recall there's a design connection why that is).

Reynard

Legend
Can you give an example?
Unless you are playing in a D&D world specifically designed to include it, there really isn't a hacking equivalent. And D&D worlds don't usually include analogs to cyberpunk megacorporations (although I like using the Dragonmarked Houses of Eberron in that capacity). Come to think of it, Eberron includes a lot of analogous elements, like warforged and body modification and disruptive magitech.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Unless you are playing in a D&D world specifically designed to include it, there really isn't a hacking equivalent.

Shrug - hacking is the subsystem I personally have most often seen abandoned in cyberpunk games, because hacking is great in fiction, but puts too much focus on one player for too long to be great in a tabletop game.

And D&D worlds don't usually include analogs to cyberpunk megacorporations (although I like using the Dragonmarked Houses of Eberron in that capacity).

That's a setting thing, not a rules thing.
Megacorps are just noble houses vying for control - it's just Game of Thrones with a bunch of LEDs stuck on 'em. :p

Mechanically, early SR is probably closest to Storyteller of anything I can think of (and as I recall there's a design connection why that is).
I only played it once but the old d6 Star Wars felt closer to SR. I vaguely remember pools of d6s.

(Of course, I so disliked the WoD rules that when I ran the setting I used SR2 mechanics.)

In '89 SR was pretty notable. There were three axis to manage success: pool size, target number and success threshold. Within that, you had a bit more confidence around successes due to bell curves of pools of dice. (It also created weird points where some weapons would almost always deal a Moderate wound but were almost impossible to be lethal with one shot.)

SR2 went to a fixed 2-success threshold and I think it was SR4 that went to fixed target number 4. The standard threshold was absolutely necessary to avoid the issue above. I am not sure I entirely liked the fixed TN but it did make it easier to learn for newbs.

MGibster

Legend
Shrug - hacking is the subsystem I personally have most often seen abandoned in cyberpunk games, because hacking is great in fiction, but puts too much focus on one player for too long to be great in a tabletop game.
From your mouth to God's ear. We tried allowing Netrunners in Cyberpunk but after a few attempts we just stopped. In addition to the rules being convoluted, there was too much downtime for everyone else while the runner and the GM played their little game. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think I've ever seen a Decker in a Shadowrun game. That applies to the first few editions of Shadowrun. At least in 5th edition, they made it so the Decker had to be physically on location to do their thing.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Unless you are playing in a D&D world specifically designed to include it, there really isn't a hacking equivalent. And D&D worlds don't usually include analogs to cyberpunk megacorporations (although I like using the Dragonmarked Houses of Eberron in that capacity). Come to think of it, Eberron includes a lot of analogous elements, like warforged and body modification and disruptive magitech.

I can see the former, but honestly, a game set in a setting where merchant houses have become the real powers wouldn't have to look much different from megacorporations in practical terms. You couldn't use an extent setting as-is in most cases, but it wouldn't be a big reach when starting from the ground up.

Remove ads